Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Another dash question - Doomsday switch

Roger Ford

I'm aiming to lose the ignition barrel for my new setup - and intend getting something like this: Doomsday switch panel

Now the idea of these, if I understand it correctly, is that you can kill the engine just by hitting the big red switch cover. But I'm a bit concerned about hitting it by accident. I had to move my indicator switch because I frequently turned them on while trying to save a big slide - if I manage to kill the engine while doing that it's going to be bad news. Is this likely to be a problem? Do I just need to make sure I mount the switch panel well away from the wheel?

I have an aircraft style switch to cut my ignition but I have modified it to cut the ignition when the cover/switch is in the Up position. To my mind this is a lot more sensible. When I am driving the cover is down and ther is no way I can cut the engine without the positive action of raising the cover and operating the switch. It's easy to modify, turn the switch through 90 degrees and file off a small tab as I remember ....

That's an interesting alternative, Roger.

My "understanding" of redcovered switch is

a) cannot knock on by mistake as two deliberate actions required

b) can be used as a cut out in emergency by slamming down the cover.

Having used mine the normal way round for 5 years and never accidentally knocked it off (or on for that matter) I shall be leaving it as is.

As my switch is placed over towards the passenger side. I sometimes offer passengers the opportunity to start the engine -

Arm - lift cover, raise toggle switch...

Fire - press Big Red Button!

Always adds to their enjoyment of the 7 experience 😬

Peter

Hi.

I can recommend Cartech electonic battery isolator. Exellent when yo go for keyless ignition. Main push button hidden behind dash. Kill swich well placed in reach of both driver and passenger, - if neccesary. Expensive but brilliant.

Egil

Not keen on that idea. It might pass scrutineering, but there's no visual indication of when the power is cut, unlike an FIA switch.

Edit: and if you don't have a separate ignition switch, isn't this equivalent to turning off the power by the FIA switch rather than the key? That's reputed to be bad for MEMS ecus as they don't get a chance to save current settings to flash ram.

Edited by - Roger Ford on 21 Oct 2011 11:45:52

It might pass scrutineering, but there's no visual indication of when the power is cut, unlike an FIA switch.

On that point, won't scrutes be less than impressed if they find the doomsday switch works the 'wrong way round' as in ECRs case? It's a little bit like wiring your brake-lights to be push-to-kill rather than push-to-make - they'd still serve the purpose but confuse the hell out of anyone unfamiliar with the car! *tongue*

Oh - and I've never knocked the switch accidentally in either of my current two sevens over 10 years (combined) ownership. The Blackbird Westie has its switches in the center of the dash - so well out of the way of everything but the passenger. The Caterham has the switch close to the steering-wheel - but has never been a problem.

If my switch is in the up position the engine won't be running (no fuel pump and no ignition) so they would have no cause to touch it. The marshals won't be fiddling around on the dasboard anyway, they'll hit the external master switch to kill everything. That's what it's for ...

Edited by - ECR on 22 Oct 2011 12:38:32

Edited by - ECR on 22 Oct 2011 12:39:08