Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tin top - basic battery charger

millsn

Dad has a garden tractor that periodically needs emergency charging plus a larger 110Ah car battery that the same applies for. He has trickle chargers but just wants something plug and play. Halfords seem to want £50 which sounds like alot of money for this duty.

Anyone know of any budget alternatives?

Edited by - millsn on 19 Oct 2011 17:08:14

Funny the price at Machine mart is £50 too but I feel quite happy to pay that there. Probably had too many chargers from Halfords that die after a matter of years. Thanks for the suggestion, as ever it (Machine mart) seems so obvious when said

The ctek xs7000 is a good bit of kit, but is expensive! It can also be used as a 12v power supply.

I have my lawn tractor on an accumate, and the 7 is on an xs7000, with a xs3600 used as an overnight boost charger for the tin tops if they need it.

Oops - perhaps not. I thought I'd better check that with CTEK, so I dropped them an email, and got the prompt reply:

In our experience, using a charger smaller than required means that the battery voltage never reaches the level is should do. As a result, the charger continues to run indefinitely in bulk charge mode. This then causes excessive gassing from the battery, eventually leading to it drying out and becoming permanently damaged, whilst at the same time posing an explosion risk (or, as we saw in one case, extensively damaging the interior finish of a boat). Often, the prolonged running also causes the charger to fail through excessive heat generation.

For all of the above reasons, we recommend chargers based solely on the rating of the battery or batteries they will be charging and warn people not to use them without confirming that they are within their operational rating.

So, apart from the risk of a catastrophic explosion, it'll work fine *redface*

Interesting and slightly scary. I've had good service from ctek in the past so I've bought the ctek xs7000

Thanks for the suggestion, given their website prices I'd not have expected to get one so cheaply and it's been despatched already (apparently).

Quoting Roger Ford: 
Oops - perhaps not. I thought I'd better check that with CTEK, so I dropped them an email, and got the prompt reply:

In our experience, using a charger smaller than required means that the battery voltage never reaches the level is should do. As a result, the charger continues to run indefinitely in bulk charge mode. This then causes excessive gassing from the battery, eventually leading to it drying out and becoming permanently damaged, whilst at the same time posing an explosion risk (or, as we saw in one case, extensively damaging the interior finish of a boat). Often, the prolonged running also causes the charger to fail through excessive heat generation.

For all of the above reasons, we recommend chargers based solely on the rating of the battery or batteries they will be charging and warn people not to use them without confirming that they are within their operational rating.

So, apart from the risk of a catastrophic explosion, it'll work fine *redface*

What a load of old bull. Complete bollocks. If a charger is safe to deliver 1A into a battery it will. If it's an 80 Ah battery it takes 80 hours. So big deal. The only bitr of their sales blurb, sorry, technical advice, that I agree with is that running a charger out of its rated range will result in it overheating and failing. Well, I could hgave told you that. **** like that, with of course the odd half truth thrown in to justify a load of mumbo jumbo and FUD related sales technique, discredits the whole industry. Tossers.

BTW for basic topup charging Halfords do one for about a tenner, just a wall wart affair. It's maybe an amp output, get one of these connected to a timeswitch and have it coming on for a few hours every day, it will keep any battery topped up. The mower battery prob only needs an hour or two, the car say 4hrs. The Lidl one above would do just as good a job.

You can also get a battery conditioner that delivers 300mA or 500mA, plug it in and leave it. This is designed to maintain fully charged batteries, and top thm up as necessary.