Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing rear dampers

bob-the-b

Bob

Easy job to do *thumbup*

Just make sure you support the de dion/a-frame *thumbup* can help getting shock off as it takes weight off mount points *wink*

When the shock comes away from the top bolt, be careful not to catch the brake line that's on the de dion tube as it can be close *thumbup*

The hardest part ( I found anyway ) was getting top bolt in on your own, as it can be a little hard to line up

Done this about 3-4 times for friends *thumbup*

HTH

I use two extensions to create a super long extension for a ratchet. You can then access the lowest bolt from the under rear of the car directly. If you use a spanner on the other (front) side of the de dion tube when the nut/bolt inevitably rotates, the spanner will jam against the A frame and allow you to continue freely winding the nut off the bolt.

If you have undone the top mount bolt you can then remove it and draw away the damper under the car. Obviously the car chassis needs to be on axle stands to get the weight off the suspension.

Likewise from the other Leicestershire folks....I can help with this if you need a pair of hands. I removed mine to fit my FIA bar, it was relatively easy...the key is using your car jack or other support to keep the de-dion tube in place and not letting drop. I found by leaving it in the right place and not moving it I could take out the dampers, and then replace, fit bottom bolt loosely first - swing up and without any alignment issues of top bolt hole which could be fiddly. As previously stated checking the slim thickness hex head bolt head is on each side securing the FIA roll bar is in place is worthwhile...this is right above the damper uppermost bolt fixing location.

It's one of the easiest jobs you can do on a Caterham. I reckon I can whip the rear Nitron shocks off and change the springs in 40-45 mins. Caterhams are so light I use two scissor jacks, the first to support the de dion and the second for the chassis.

Do not lift on the De Dion tube. It will be a mess when you unbolt the dampers.

On a serious note: Two scissor jacks would not be wise. They offer no sideways support and hence the chance of dropping the car would be more than just present.