Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Reconnecting screen heating element wires.

peterpi

Today I put the full windscreen back on in place of my brooklands aeroscreens (I know, I know, but it's my only car OK? *tongue*)

The windscreen has two thin wires, one at each side for the heating element. There are two tiny holes near where you attach the screen to the car, through which you can thread the wires so that they end up behind the dashboard with all the rest of the switchey bits. They attach to a corresponding pair of wires that disappear off into I-don't-know-where.

The first time I removed the full windscreen there were some spade connectors on these wires. I had to cut them off in order to remove the full windscreen. The tiny little hole for threading the wire through is only wide enough for the wire itself.

What do people use to attach these wires, and maintain the ability to remove the windscreen? I've made do with terminal blocks but that feels a bit of a bodge.

You could use small bullet connectors which should pass through the holes, or use a terminal block as you mentioned which will do the job fine. It depends how often you swap screens and how quick a change you desire. *smile* If a bullet connector won't pass through and you are not too precious about the car then simply drill a slightly larger hole and use a larger grommet?

I left the spade connectors on the windscreen, pushed the wires from under the scuttle up through the holes, stuck fully insulated female spades on the ends. When I have aero on you hardly notice the two spades sticking out of the scuttle....and reconnecting the windscreen is simple..........