Click here if you are having website access problems ×

speedo sensor location

millsn

I'm going to fit a electronic speedo to my 7 and need to site the sensor somewhere. I was planning on mounting it to sense from the propshaft. Where is this sensor positioned on cars newer than 1992!?

Edited by - millsn on 23 Aug 2011 16:29:30

Hi,

I did this conversion on my '85 LA car about 6 months ago. I used the Caerbont speedo and sensor. I mounted mine to sense the disc mounting bolts on the back of the front off side hub. I was able to use a standard Caterham bracket which attaches to the caliper mounting bolts, no need to remove hub at all. Only fiddly task was setting the gap to make sure the sensor counts the correct number of pulses per rev. The Caerbont sensor has a small led which flashes for each pulse so this was not too hard.

Other advantage of this setup is that if you change diff ratios you don't need to recalibrate the speedo.

Phil

I can't comment on all models, but this is the bracket I bought, so it seems to be standard for many S3 cars.

http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=1206

I was a little concerned also about wire routing, but as this bracket fits next to the caliper I was able to route the cable next to my aeroquip lines using zip ties. Hardly noticable on standard track.

Phil

Had to think as it is a few years ago but I put the magnet on the output flange on the diff and made a small bracket which could be fitted to a bolt on the diff( not an assembly bolt). It is the upper front position of the diff, easy to get at from underneath or with the wheel off. Did not want wires running down any moving bits. It is nice and safe where it has been for about 5-6 years now.