Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tuned TwinCams!!

PSJ

Who here has a tuned twink? If so what have you had done and what power are you seing? Most iv seen/heard of is a 189bhp twink but don't know the mods.

I only ask as I'm interested next year, to completely do away with the Dellorto carbs and lumenition ignition and go with the modern throttle body's with suited 3D ECU etc. I'd be interested to know what sort of extra power this should give!?

At the mo my twink stands in it's standard vegantune spec (126bhp). Crossflow Tall block (1598cc) sprint cams and bigger pistons (I think - RS1600 pistons??) et etc. Recently rebuilt and dyno'd at a healthy 127.5bhp - now has unleaded conversion done too *smile*

What's yours!?

A 189bhp will not of much use on the road unless you are constant in atack mode 😬due to the powerband

And you may have to refresh it every year depending on milage

If you have the Kent block this would be a plus as it's stronger but you will need steel internals to achieve this kind of power.

What's mods did u have to get 170 Eugene?

I don't want 190bhp but wouldn't mind 140/150bhp. :) don't really Wana do anything internal. Just ignition and throttle bodies. If that would get me into the 140/150's I'd be happy. But yes it's the ford bottom end :)

I'm guessing here but I would imagine that elec eng, 3D map and TBs will not give you the large power jump you talk of. TBs are a bit less restrictive but you are talking about 20% more power, that means 20% more fuel/air in round numbers and your existing valves/manifolds are unlikely to flow this.

I thnk the benefits of a proper map are that the thing will run cleaner through the rev range and be less peaky, with fewer flatspots. IMO this is the great advantage of a decent map, there is no more top-end power but the midrange is correctly metered (for a change).