Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Bearings - Car currently apart on my drive and would like it back together before it goes dark!

Z3MCJez

Trying to track down a nasty vibration at the rear of my car. In testing the discs, the nearside seemed to not be running true. Disc off, and hub off (as I wondered if the bearing was buggered) and the two bearings inside the hub float in and out (I.e. along the drive-shaft). They turn freely and I presume that the hub nut when tightened will stop this float. Anyway, wanted to check that this was right. You'd never believe that I built this car *redface*

Jez

The o/s disc was off true by 2/1000" - the nearside was off by about 6/1000". Unfortunately, by the time I'd done everything I needed to I was positively in trouble from SWMBO so didn't re-measure. However, I do think there may be some play in the bearing (although I don't think this is the issue - see below).

I did take the disc back off the hub and smoothed off the contact points. The vibration came with new discs. I suppose I should have checked that the disc is a proper circle while I was at it. Oh, well. I can do this next time if it's not sorted.

Jez