Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Swapping to Aeroscreen

Croc

I know this is covered to death already but I got lost in the many aeroscreen threads I pulled up from search...

I tried a carbon aeroscreened R300 out at Silverstone last month and just 🥰 the way it felt responsive at higher speeds without the drag of a windscreen.

However, which one do I pick - there is Caterham interchangeable one, CarbonMods, Fluke, MOG, and probably others? Are they all as good as each other?

For mounting, are there any that allow nice, easy and quick changeover by me alone from a windscreen? E.g. Mirrors mounted on the aeroscreen rather than drilling the scuttle? Center just clips onto tonneau poppers? Uses existing windscreen stanchion holes? Photos probably would help.

I do have the captive nut brackets as I installed these on my recent build.

Many thanks in advance for your input and assistance sorting out my confusion. *confused*

Croc

I've just fitted a secondhand RiF aeroscreen.

I think with most aeroscreens, they are designed to use the same mounting holes as the windscreen stanchions, so mounting is easy. If you have the captive nuts already, then it's even better.

The centre of my RiF screen is attached to the scuttle by unscrewing the centre poppers and then screwing them back on, with the screen underneath.

I would think most have mirrors which attach directly to the aeroscreen.

I am very happy with mine. It doesn't give much buffeting as it's taller than some others (although I have not tried any others, admittedly). The Caterham screen is not regarded as giving as much wind protection and the MOG screen is very expensive, so I was happy to pick up a second hand RiF screen (that's Carbon-Bits).

Quoting Glasgow: 
have you thought about brooklands? It is on my shopping list... *wink*

Yes I did think about it briefly but moved away from it quickly once I realized I have a CSR with black pack so needed to fabricate a support bracket and then black powder coat all the nice shiny stuff. Seemed a waste to go that way.

Quoting BenF: 
I was happy to pick up a second hand RiF screen (that's Carbon-Bits).

Is Carbon Bits a reliable easy-to-deal-with supplier these days under new owners? Ordering from the US adds an extra layer of potential problems?

[p/Quote=jonboylaw] Caterham perspex race screens, the only way to go

Now thats an idea I had not thought of *smile* ....still need to work out mirrors...

Edited by - Croc on 15 Jul 2011 10:58:55

Edited by - Croc on 15 Jul 2011 10:59:27

Edited by - Croc on 15 Jul 2011 10:59:59

Ooooh....now I am torn. I like the idea of blackpacked brooklands and the photo of the perspex race screens looks nicely minimalist too. Its so much fun working out how to spend money on a seven *smile* *tongue*

Arse!!

I'm in the UK Croc - should have said - fly back on Sunday, might have been able to bring stuff over!

However, IF* I can find it, it just so happens I have one of those Caterham race perspex screens somewhere - easy to rivnut in place so that holes are hidden by the screen when that is on...

I can maybe slip it into a suitcase if interested?

* I might have given it away!

Edited by - angus&tessa on 15 Jul 2011 21:22:00

Hi Angus! *wavey*

Hope the UK is treating you well! If you still have the race screen then drop it in the luggage and bring it on back. I am sure I can work out a way to put it on backwards! 😬

We need to catch up for beers when you get back. I think I might show you how to drink like a kiwi this time instead of being threatened by cougars out on the prowl for eligble any men.