Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roll Cage Painting / Powder Coating

Andrew G

TSK painted my cage for 100quid but he was also spraying the rest of the car so its probably discounted. When I ordered the cage I asked for it to be powdercoated white. This then only had to be keyed before being sprayed.

cheers

Rob

I just got a quote from a local company Vulcan Stove Enamelling near Worthing for powder coating an already powder coated cage, with me doing the preparation of a few rusty and scratched bits and giving the cage a rub down. The price was £100 + VAT.

Not a cage but a bike frame. £70 for stove enamel, £30-40 for powder. Powder is a thicker coat, fills a bit better (if correctly applied) slightly softer and stands up well to knocks and scratches. Its downside is it is less shiny and it only comes in flat colours, so if you want metallic you need a metallic lacquer. A large part of the labour for powder is blasting, it has to be blasted clean of corrosion and degreased. If you can get this done then it's a lot cheaper, a lot of PCers don't have blasting gear as they coat mostly new components.

I've considered getting my Caged cage re-powder coated. It's got the original MSA/build authenticity stickers on it which will need to come off for a re-coat. Will this affect scrutineering for hillclimbs/sprints/race events?

Quoting batteredoldsupersport: 
Not a cage but a bike frame. £70 for stove enamel, £30-40 for powder. Powder is a thicker coat, fills a bit better (if correctly applied) slightly softer and stands up well to knocks and scratches. Its downside is it is less shiny and it only comes in flat colours, so if you want metallic you need a metallic lacquer. A large part of the labour for powder is blasting, it has to be blasted clean of corrosion and degreased. If you can get this done then it's a lot cheaper, a lot of PCers don't have blasting gear as they coat mostly new components.

I thought at the Detling Kit Car Show there was a stand selling a DIY home powder coat kit that had some pretty lurid metallic colours on display!