Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Catastrophic Oil Loss - CSR 200

Malcolm

An odd one. Been going 15 mins at low speed behind 27mph observer!. At 'D' restricted point accelerated past, but nearside rear wheel slewed and spun - thought I had puncture. Managed to get past, and stopped in about 1/2 mile and had shock of seeing oil everywhere, inside and out, and dripping off rear tyre.

Didn't know how much oil loss so got recovered. Having done detailed inspection found that oil filter seal was protruding, and on removal the seal is quite distorted at one point. For whatever reason assume oil loss from that there, but can't understand why. Changed filter about 3k ago, and know it was properly seated, and have had no leaks. Don't know if it's possible to get a pressure build up fo some reason, and it released at point of least resistance?. Have drained what was left of oil, and got about 1/2L out, so am thinking me crank may not be in great shape!.

What should I do now? - fill it up, new filter and start - hoping for the best, or get it taken in for proper check up. Any advice would be much appreciated - not feeling great at the moment!!

Quoting batteredoldsupersport: 
You may be lucky. I'd refill it and see how it sounds, if it knocks and rattles then you haven't made it any worse as it needs a rebuild anyway. If you've got away with it, good for you.

+1 *thumbup*

• Area Representative

If it's any help I had more or less exactly the same thing happen to me about 10 years ago in a Rover 220 turbo coupe, the oil filter sealing ring blew out when I was overtaking on the Portland beach road ☹️

I did as others here have suggested - re-filled with oil and crossed my fingers.

I don't think any serious harm was done, as the motor remained strong for the next couple of years that I kept the car, but I always felt that it sounded a bit harsher 😔 that could have been psychological though....

Have you got an OP gauge? What's the (recent) usual behaviour been?

Was the 15 mins from cold? If so, you wouldn't have a reliable chance of getting the OT up to working temps and so may not have given the OP relief valve a chance to open freely.

Myles,

Not a techky, and not understanding your point. It was from cold, so oil OT not reached. Have got OP gauge & usual behaviour is normal. Don't know what it read when incident happened, didn't look - had I done so may have stopped sooner, as guess it would be 0

Malcolm,

Sorry to hear this. You mentioned only half litre was left; did you drain the swirl tower? If you have drained the oil before, you know that only about half a litre resides in the dry sump normally. The ~6 litres stays in the (pumped) swirl tower.

As for areas of this type of loss, could it have blown out of the expansion tank? Admitably the reasons would still be puzzling for this amount of oil

As for the oil filter; it you screwed on 'dry sealed' then it could have distorted, but not sure why it would take 3k miles to let go. Normal procedure is to smear seal with oil to ensure it doesn't distort (sorry if you already know this one).

If the net result was that there was only half litre left in combined swirl & dry sump and it was run for a while then damage may have been done. Under the circumstances of not sure why it happened (may happen again) and the possibility of damage (and not wanting to inflict further damage), perhaps trailered to Caterham or engine out yourself, and off to Minster Power or Cosworth for an engine strip?

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst may be the best policy.

Rob

CSR200

Rob,

Thanks for reply & other one on filter type.

No oil loss from expansion tank. Am happy that oil change was done ok, filter seal was smeared before fitting. Although oil drained cold, all drain plugs removed, so think I got out what there was.

It's unbelievable how much oil can come out of such a small breach in such a short time. Having done a Google, have found reference to oil seal blowouts caused by faulty pressure relief valve -don't even know where this is!

Although I want to fill up & start, think I'll ignore the urge & chat to CC/Redline tomorrow.

And yes I'm hoping for the best, but planning for the worst!!

Malcolm

Malcolm, I think the pressure relief valve is in the oil pump. See the following link here, click on the 'Duratec Engine components' PDF page 18 part number PR6153. I think this is in the dry sump, only way to get at that is to remove the dry sump. Only way to remove the dry sump is to remove the engine, sorry.

When I have spoken to Redline recently, they said they were not as familiar with the 2.3 dura in the CSR and they advised me to use CC at Dartford directly. CC were familiar and I had good service from them. I think the Service manager at CC Dart is James Gibson.

Malcolm,

Been there with my BDR, and that was the subject of my 1st post here...

The oil pressure relief valve was stuck, due to a mis-assembly before I bought the car.

All the oil out (minus 1/2 litre), through the protruding oil filter seal. And the best, after PRV refurbishment, no damage to the engine !

Actually, the oil pump can deliver more pressure than needed. Oil pushes one side of a piston, and a calibrated spring pushes on the other side. When oil pressure grows up, the spring gets shorter and the piston unmasks a hole which allows a part of the flow to go back straight to the sump. Consequence : pressure goes down. Spring gets longer, hole is masked and pressure goes up.... Finally, oil pressure sets up at a value which depends essentially on the spring stiffness.

Frequent failure is when the piston gets stuck in a position where the hole is masked : 100% of the pressure goes in the oil circuit, and the weakest part of it goes pop. Generally, it's the oil filter gasket.

So, don't worry too soon and have a look at that valve !

JFoX

Too much oil smearing on the filter seal and an over tight filter can give a distorted seal that will seal - but will pop at some stage - people often over tighten filters - even mechanics do it.....

I hope your engine is OK *thumbup*

when the oil is cold, the pressure relief valve can not cope. This is why you often see 7 or 8 bar oil pressure on cold start up, as the oil warms up to 50C the pressure relief valve is still working flat out but the pressure is falling as the oil becomes less viscous.

My bet is that you were on cold oil - having driven for 15mins at very slow speed and when you booted it past the overtake you probably hit 9bar and that blew the seal.

fill her up and get back out *smile* *thumbup*