Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel pump problem R400 D

john aston

Forgive me if I use the wrong terms.Yet again the Seven let me down-twice in a month.AA sorted- but need permanent fix. Inboard of n/s rear wheel are wires to fuel pump. They have a multi point connector - plastic widget. It is making erratic contact because it is sh*gged . What is it called, is it easy to replace?

Ah. Mine failed a few years back. Petrol had managed to drip down on to the connector - and it made the wires brittle.

When you find the replacement, worth checking what caused the problem (e.g. the drip...)

Quoting Grim Reaper: 
If it's just a replacement of a connector block then no problem. How many wires? I can source a replacement and fit it for you if you like (knowing your dislike of anything resembling maintenance of vehicles) :-)

That'd be great- see you tomorrow.

Myles- no leak visible- but I think 20 k miles of road dirt responsible.

John, I've just looked at mine, and I think (as Mav suggests) they are Econoseal, but 4-way rather than 2. Have a look here and here.

JV

ETA: Re a fix, I guess it all depends on what you mean by "sh*gged". Are the wires leading to/from the connector damaged? If not, it could simply be that road crud has got in somewhere. This would be unusual as Econoseals are pretty weather-proof -- each wire has its own seal, and the internal terminals are sealed behind rubbery gaskets. Anyway, undo the connector (you'll need to cut a lot of the cable-ties) and then wash the terminals in meths. If the wires are damaged, the best solution would be to cut out the damaged section (including the connector itself possibly, and then re-wire. You'll probably need two connectors, with some lengths of auto wire in between. You'll also need a crimping tool to attach the terminals to the wires. Not difficult -- just fiddly.

Edited by - John Vine on 5 Jun 2011 20:15:23

Wires aren't damaged but my AA guy said there was some corrosion and connection poor but reckoned his fix would sort it. It did for about 6 weeks. The second Aa guy confirmed that very cruddy and that connection- spade connector- needed some tlc. Sp with Grim's help it will be replaced as prospect of total engine power shutdown without notice worries me.

Thanks John, I'll have a line of cars outside wanting repairs now... *wink*

Cut off the existing 6 way white block with the 4 pump and sender wires in it, stripped the wire back a couple of inches but was getting no joy with clean conductors inside the insulation so dipped the bared ends in some phosphoric acid to clean the black oxidation off it to allow them to be soldered, added a couple of feet of wire to the loom side and replaced the six way connector with a couple of 2 way connectors (like these here set up so they can't be connected incorrectly and moved the connector up out of the spray next to the tank.

Edited by - Grim Reaper on 13 Jun 2011 22:18:38