Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best silencer

julians

Whats the opinion on the best silencer to go for to get my car within most trackday noise limits. Its currently using the standard (very thin/small looking) caterham silencer (from new in 1996) , which I think has lost all the packing. My noise is now round about 106db static at three quarter revs.

Its a 2.0 zetec using racelines 4-1 manifold, putting out around 200bhp if it matters.

Julians,

Do you know anyone who has one of the JP jobs? Being made from SS, repackable and cheap won't neccessarily mean it makes you quiet enough. Shame to spend £150 if it doesn't fix your problem - what track day limits are you trying to get under?

Mine was measuring about 107 with an empty Caterham job and went to 98 with a Raceco one (albeit at 500 rpm less). More expensive but 100% effective.

Ben

I dont know anyone with a JP exhaust, although I do seem to think they have a good reputation (cant remember where I got that idea from though).

They did seem to think they could get the noise down to acceptable levels (when I say acceptable I mean for donningtons 102 drive by, not bothered about goodwood), they say they've done lots of silencers for caterhams.

The other thing that I like is that I'll just take the old silencer in and they'll make me a new one that should you fit straight on the car with no messing around, unlike techcraft where I'd need to make a few mods to the collector.

Will probably go and see them on Friday and suss them out / have a look at some of their work.

Julian Thompson - You live in Macc, do you know anything about JP exhausts?

Edited by - julians on 25 Sep 2002 19:07:42

Edited by - julians on 25 Sep 2002 19:13:19

Yup. Rich Hackney, chief exhaust man at JP is a mate and is very, very experienced and very, very good at his job.

The prices you mention are unmissable.

Rich wanted to develop something specific for the 7 using my car as the test vehicle but time, sadly , didnt allow it. He has made exhausts for LOADS of Westies and 7's, however, along with pretty much everything else so you are in good hands.

Personally, owing to Rich's lack of time and the massive amount of development work that had already gone in, I bought a Raceco Titanium silencer, as you know.

Results are just mind blowing and I would not hesitate to recommend this product to anyone - AMMO is Mr Raceco, so call him, or check out www.raceco.com (I think this is the address) if you are interested in one of these.

Forgot to mention, check out my site at www.btinternet.com/~v11ufo and click modifications to examine the results of the fitment of this silencer.

Edited by - Julian Thompson on 25 Sep 2002 19:45:16

I have a 215 bhp Dunnell Zetec, 4 int 1 and have had a Techcraft 7" x 29 inch silencer which just about met 98 db when feshly packed . However it has suffered fracturing around the end caps (welded and reinforced 4 times), and the central diffuser pipe was crap and has just fallen apart for nth time. So I looked at Racelines 32 inch repackable referred to above and I have decided to go with this as it will definitely get my rear end into a Goodwood quiet day. However induction remains a problem - I just hope the circuit guys dont start static noise tests on this side as I fear mine would howl at about 120 db !!

Paul

Zeeeeeeetec . . . . . .

Edited by - paul.davis on 26 Sep 2002 00:43:55

• Leadership Team

I've got a good idea - living north of Derby - a trip across the old Cat & Fiddle to take a look at JP sounds like a fine idea. What a complete p****r! - Yes I'll watch out for plod!

Julian T - I assume they would have a solution for my old '91 Xflow, which is still on its original Caterham exhaust (4in1)............... and where they in relation to that furniture shop Arghia thingumywhatsit at the bottom of the C&F

Rog *wink*

Rog - easy peasy from Cat and fiddle - just come down from the tops and into the 30 zone - 1/4 mile and you'll see EARS on the right (car servicing etc place) - turn left here - and then take your (count em) 2n'd left into Brook street. Then first hole in the fence on the right for JP!

Note that there are 2 Rick's at JP - You ideally want Rick Hackney.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the exhaust back from JP today.

Seems fine, they've replaced the silencer section witha new repackable one (which means it fitted straight on no hassle). The end cap is held on with lock wire, which I guess could do with tidying up if you're a gjob sort of person.

Quality seems generally good (doesent seem quite as good as Julian Thompson Titanium one though), looks quite tidy, definately quieter, but cant quantify as I'm without a noise meter.

Lifetime guarantee against defects etc, although they say the packing will burn out in time (hence the repackable aspect I suppose)

Quite heavy, but I would guess no heavier than the caterham one when full of packing.

Pics below

http://www.swiftmark.co.uk/images/DSCF0305.jpg

http://www.swiftmark.co.uk/images/DSCF0306.jpg

http://www.swiftmark.co.uk/images/DSCF0307.jpg

http://www.swiftmark.co.uk/images/DSCF0308.jpg