Click here if you are having website access problems ×

4 speed to 5-speed (type 9) gearbox upgrade

Its a bit historic these days as there can't be many wanting to do this now but is it much of a job? , whats required? obviously 1) a 5 speed gearbox, 2) a bellhousing to suit my short cockpit crossflow, 3) shortened prop shaft i believe.

do I need a new clutch assy?

are there any issues with the input shaft

do I need a new gearbox mounting and does it need any welding to the chassis?

does the transmission tunnel need a bit of metal bashing to accommodate the new gear lever / remote?

Do I need to go hydraulic on the clutch actuation or will my existing cable be ok?

Any advice help appreciated... I might be interested in buying some good bits that I need to do the job if anybody has them for sale.

Chris Wheeler, 7 Workshop, did mine recently when I went to Zetec...

Needed a new mounting, which involved cutting the chassis about.

You also need to look at where the gear lever will sit.

I went with a short bell housing (and input shaft) and a remote linkage (from ebay).

(The existing 4-speed remote linkage just didn't work...)

Not sure about the clutch plate as that was changed anyway, but cable activation is fine.

The propshaft will need a different spline.

Oh, and get a box with better ratios than normal - I used BGH 😬

Think that's it...

I did the conversion on my standard cockpit live axled 7 back in 1993 - works perfectly.

I did a write up for "Low Flying" at the time and it's included in the 7 Hints and Tips that was collated.

The pdf Hint & Tips can be found here 7 Hints and Tips and the conversion text is from page 69 with the modified bracket diagram on page 97.

Some things may have changed over the years as far as suppliers etc may be concerned but it may give you a general idea as to what needs to be done.