Click here if you are having website access problems ×

5AS Issue

K16TOY

I have changed my engine from a 1.6 EU2 to a 1.8 VVC EU3 that come from a Caterham with a Caterham engine wiring loom but I have just come across a problem as on the new 5AS it has two connections but on my car loom I only have one of these connections.

Is it possible to get a Mems EU3 running without a 5AS connected or will I need to modify the loom 🤔

I always thought the MEMS and 5AS were paired and you couldn't run the MEMS without it - but then again I'm sure someone has a more definitive answer than me!

I did a quick google search and there were some mentions of not neeting one of the plugs as it was for diagnostics but I'm guessing you've tried it without the one that doesn't plug in anyway.

I found a spreadsheet with the pinouts in case it's of any use going forward.

Karl.

Karl,

Thank you for the info. Mike Molly has emailed me with good news 😬 that the second connection is used for light signals when you arm and disarm so I do not need the second connection.

Not all VVC's use the second connector. I don't use mine and I'm not 100% sure what it is for. I don't think it is for lights as I think the normal connector has this in it. I think (!) it is for cars where there is a proximity sensor for the blipper connected. This means that when the immobiliser arms itself as the ignition has been off and a door open then you do not need to press the disarm button again as it detects the blipper is in the car (Rover). Of course, I just make do with the hardship of pressing the button again *wink*

I have a VVC that I installed into an old generation 1.4 (different connectors!) so let me know if I can help at all.

Kev

When I fitted an EU3 engine to my 21, we kept the old 5as unit and matched it to the new ecu rather than use the new style unit. We also fitted a proper fusebox etc to make the car a little more reliable and to introduce some protection from shorts etc.

If you want the contact of the chap who did it for me, drop me a line. he is ex rover and owns a 21 ;-)