Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Shell 'Fuelsave' + Race car?

James_Russell

The cynic in me suggests it's far more of a rebranding exercise than a reformulation.

However, from the limited info on their website:

These fuels contain Shell’s new and most advanced additives which are designed to reduce friction to help save energy. They clean the valves that let in fuel and lubricate parts of the engine where standard engine oils are less effective. This includes, for example, the upper piston ring that helps to drive the engine.

So it's just the usual detergents and lubrication package. Can't see any of that being detrimental to a race car.

Not a rebrand, I understand that Euro 95 fuelsave has a new and unique friction reducer, that works particurlarly when the engine is cold and oil is not moving freely, reducing energy loss during the cold cycle. There are a few more cleaning components that are different to the old 95 stuff too.

I must admit, 1 litre per tank is not going to set the world on fire, but the independently tested cleaning properties of the fuel has been well researched and for my money is worth it. Especially when my 2 Shell stations are as cheap as the local supermarkets.

BB

PS I currently do have an affiliation to the company in question, but not for much longer ☹️

I understand that efficient/better burn advantages are for the Diesel, not especially for the petrol.

As for running your racecar on it, if it is set-up to run 95 pump fuel it should be fine.

Clearly any response that I give on the matter is solely my opinion, and does not reflect Shell's or anyone else's come to that. Hell, I don't even work in the retail bit!

BB

Yes - I complained about that too. I can't remember if it used to be 20l or 30l (I think it was 20l) but the caterham tank is 36l and the beemer tank is 42l, so getting 40l in is not something I want to aim for.

I actually mentioned this in my local shell, where I buy nearly all of my petrol, and they told me to write to the reward club. Yeh, right, whatever ...

Jez, apathetic