Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trailer

Jetto

I'm in need of a trailer however I have some specific requirements.

Due to me passing my test after the towing "free for all" cut off date I'm limited to what I can tow and with what. I won't bore you with the Dvla rules and calculations.

I have calculated that I need a trailer with an absolute maximum gross weight of 1400kg and a carrying capacity good enough to take my Roadsport Caterham.

It needs to be twin axle and braked in good condition with working electrics etc. Wheel rack would be nice too.

A Brian James Minno would be ideal (particularly one with a folding tow pole so it can fit in my single garage).

I don't have a limitless budget so please bare that in mind. These trailers do come up now and then for £800 to £1000 so this is my range.

Thanks,

Oli

Not much choice in trailers with that pec & weight range as the twin axle is normally a higher capacity than that.

Probably looking like a Brian James Clubman, the normal minno is ruled out due to the max Gross weight, not sure which bed legth is needed but the max gross weight of the clubman 100-0120 (4m x 1.70m) is 1,300kg with a load capacity of 980kg and in basic form is only just over a £1000.

jetto- don't be so quick to rule out trailers with an MAM of over 1400kg. I spoke to Brian James Trailers and they said they can supply a replacement chassis plate with a lower MAM. I have a clubman- the unladen weight is 350kg so if I had a lighter tow car I could down plate it to about 900kg.

I didn't realise this was possible/legal so I bought the clubman (MAM1350kg) and a diesel mondeo to tow it with. Next time I'll down-plate the trailer and buy a less huge car

The older regular Minnos that they don't make any more (not the current generation Minno Max) are available second hand as twin axle braked with a 1380kg gross weight and a 1.65m wide bed.

The Clubman 100-0120 is ok in terms of weight however it's only single axle. They do a Clubman 100-0200 which is twin axle with a 1380kg gross which would be fine but my budget won't stretch to a new trailer (close to £1500 inc VAT on a bog standard no frills one).

There are a few Minnos/Clubmans for sale second hand at the moment but a bit too far away from me.

James, yes I may look in to down plating a heavier one.

I've got an event in 2 weeks so need to sort one by then other wise I'll try and hire one.

Cheers,

Oli

Edited by - Jetto on 10 Apr 2011 15:24:24

• 3 weeks later...