Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Faulty 52mm vdo gauge

techbod

I need to dismantle my fuel gauge for a bit of tlc (damping possibly gone), but I think its likely I'll make a mess of the bezel when I take it off.

So I'd like to find a broken or faulty 52mm VDO gauge I can take to bits to get the bezel from. Anything knocking around a shed or garage somewhere?

cheers

I believe that is correct, but I've found a reference or two on the net about cutting the body apart to get inside (and maybe get the bezel a little easier that way). So I thought a Guinea pig gauge to try the various methods on first was in order.

There are sites showing you how to 'uncrimp' the bezel as well, but I gave it one try and decided its not for me...

I don't think its the sender. Random checks with a voltmeter have proved difficult to conclude definitely whilst driving , but I think its the gauge.

I thought I had read somewhere there is a small shunt coil/ and or resistor in the gauge that can fail. Its this I was planning on checking.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested to know if you manage to sort this. The fuel gauge on my 1990 car has reacted to the slightest movement of the tank's contents from new yet the oil pressure gauge,which you would expect to react instantly, moves with the speed of a comatose snail *confused*

Brian.