Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Faulty fuel reading

JetSepter

Ok, La Jet Sept has been with me now for five days from new, and she's decided that with petrol prices the way they are, I'd be a lot happier if I thought the tank just remained full no matter what. Or to put it another way, either the gauge or the sender has already developed a fault. Gauge showed full, I put in 10 litres.

Any pointers? Though I shall be passing the showroom on the way home today, so I'll probably call in to have a word/hopefully get it put right.

Well, Caterham didn't solve it this afternoon, though they told me they thought they had - sender sticking, they said. If so, it has remained stuck, since once I turned the key, the needle slowly moved to the extreme right, where it stayed until I turned the ignition off in Bromley. This is making 'Betty' a little too much like my Mark Six of years ago, which had small tank and no gauge at all. You had to keep a very careful eye on the mileage. Brass dipping stick, anyone?

More seriously, does anyone know a series of tests that could be applied to track down the cause? All the rest of the gauges and switches are working fine, so I don't think it is a generic dashboard earth problem.

One thing you could try to see if the sender unit is working is as follows:

1) Fill the tank 1/3 to 1/2 full

2) Disconnect the sender at the tank under the boot floor.

3) Connect a multimeter to the sender set on the ohms range, set to about 200 ohms scale. It should read somewhere between approx 10 and 150

4) Rock the car back and forward - you should hear the fuel sloshing about. Alternatively jack up one side of the car and then the other

5) Observe the meter. You should get quite a lot of change in the reading. If you do then the sender is OK, and your problem lies elsewhere. If you dont then its probably time for a new one.

Happy hunting !

Edited by - Angus on 29 Mar 2011 19:56:50

Angus - thanks for the specific ideas for checking. Today I called in to the factory to seek their advice. The more necessary since, despite having driven 60 miles yesterday, the battery barely turned the engine this morning and failed to start the car. (A power pack did, if you're wondering how I got to the factory.) I thought the two might be related. They checked the electrics over and said the sender was working OK. Their explanation for the gauge reading, which gelled with something I read elsewhere, was that the float did not move linearly, and effectively one could have something approximating accuracy at either the top or bottom end of the scale, but not both. Caterham erred towards the bottom end, feeling knowledge of an empty tank was more important than a full one. So very often one saw no movement in the needle till the tank was half empty. Then it would go down quite quickly. I wait to see.