Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Slight refueling problem!

mattmurdock

I picked mine up in 2007 as well and things were not too bad filling up but recently I noticed all the pump nozzles being changed which made things much worse because of the collar they all now seem to have. When I went down to Goodwood last year I could not find any nozzles that would fit - even all the stations I had used previously had changed so they would not fit. I ended up having to dribble fuel in all the way there and back so that prompted me to get it fixed.

I have the aero cap and have no issues with filling - it is a bit tight but some jigging gets the nozzle in (that's what she said 😳)

On my previous car the flap fell into the tank (the whole unit came out of the neck) - this did make filling a lot easier, but I found that on track days I was dropping fuel on left hand bends as the flap was not there to stop the surge, and fuel would exit through a breather hose (located just above the flap). So I don't think the flap is there to stop fuel getting out in the event of turning over, but I do think it serves a useful purpose on heavy cornering; obviously I cannot tell you if that is its designated purpose!

Hope that helps.

CC told me it was an IVA requirement. I understand it's to stop petrol leaking out if your vehicle is upside down - but it won't of course, because it doesn't seal.

I picked up my car 3 weeks ago. A few days later I tried, and failed, to refuel the vehicle at my local BP, Shell and Sainsbury garages.

I've read umpteen posts on this subject and I tried every suggested angle including more of my own but, in desperation and after scratching my black-pack aero filler with my unsuccessful gyrations, I resorted to buying a fuel can and using the fill spout to jam the flap open.

I took the car back to CC and they removed the flap.

It is frankly ridiculous that CC have failed to resolve this long-running issue and even more ridiculous that they sell you a car they know you will have trouble refueling.

Michael

I don't - I checked while filling up the other morning on the commute - the flap is still there, the nozzle still fits, fuel still flows. Even works with assisted service in Switzerland and France, motorway, autobahn, Italian village pumps . . .

All in the hand action *wink*

Bri

It's only a proem with cars fitted with Areo caps as the cap reduces the diameter available for the pump nozzle so when the nozzle is inserted it hits the edge of the cylinder in which the flap is mounted. Before the recent changes to pump nozzles I could get most nozzles in ok but now they have the collar fitted it co poetry stops the nozzle entering correctly. Remove the Areo cap and they fit ok. I recon if they machined out the internal top of the cap then it would give enough room for the nozzle and still seal.

Overall it's a combination of the steep angle of the filler pipe and the restricted diameter caused y the Areo cap. Even if the flap was moved slightly lower in the filler pipe think it would fix it.