Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Polycarbonate windscreens

Roger Ford

Anyone know where I can buy polycarbonate with a scratch-resistant coating?

We're allowed polycarbonate windscreens in Supergrads this year and I'm keen to try one. I know they scratch relatively easily, but I replace glass ones about three times a year because of cracks, so it seems worth a try.

What about the road MOT? Common sense would say it's going to fail with a polycarb screen, but common sense and the actual MOT rules don't generally have much in common. All I can see in the the MOT Testers Handbook is that "a temporary windscreen fitted" is reason for failure. So long as it's not temporary, I can't see any reason for failing it for being any particular material - be it plain glass, toughened, laminated or plastic.

Your windscreen has to have the appropriate kitemark

I think you'll find it doesn't.

for road use the must be heated afaik

That's the SVA. Doesn't need to be heated for MOT.

Anyone got any more useful "facts" about the MOT and windscreens? 😬

Sure, I could MOT it without one. Probably will if I haven't got a polycarb one by then - in fact I'll have to - the crack from top to bottom of the current one is definitely more than 40mm across.

Roger:

I don't know if you can buy hard coated PC sheet, you would need to ask the PC suppliers.

I do have two possible names for hard coating of plastics:

Optical Coating Technologies

Charvo Finishing

I've not used either of these.

I've had limited experience of hard coating PC (moulded card reader lenses) & found it to be quite troublesome with a high scrap rate. The hard coating material needs to match the grade of PC used. Eventually we changed to a grade of acrylic with an inherently higher scratch resistance & adequate impact resistance for the application.

HTH,

Mark