Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Moving a laid up 7

prangerman

My 7 hasn't moved for over 6 weeks. But I'm determined to let it see light this weekend. I haven't even had the chance to push it out of the garage for gentle fettling. In sits in the garage in neutral with the handbrake off. (Unlike SWMBO, I hope the earth does not move...)

I imagine that the wheels/discs will bind. Apart from gentle rocking and coaxing, is there a safe, mechanically sympathetic way to move a sleeping 7?

Peter

As long as the clutch hasn't stuck and it still has the appropriate fluids on board it will work perfectly.

A friend foolishly left the handbrake on his car over the snowy spell and the back brake stuck on. I had to do a bit of phone mechanicing and at my suggestion he removed the wheel and went out and bought a big blowtorch to heat the drum. After about 20 minutes of heating the drum had expanded enough for his tapping of the wheel studs to get it moving. *smile* The same technique applies to free a clutch except engine heat via the flywheel will usually free it off. It may take a while!

Mine has times when it never gets used for months on end. I just leave it and hope for the best. Started it at the weekend before last for the first time since September - started 2nd time of asking and off I went - not bad for a 20 year old xflow. I do check the fluids and tyre pressures (and any bits the kids might have fiddled with). I leave it in neutral and handbrake off - never had anything stick. But I do suffer from the tyres flat spotting. I can get a lot of steering shake for a while which goes after 50 miles or so.

Edited by - MusCat on 11 Feb 2011 08:56:29