Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How to repair a small split in vinyl boot cover?

Fil M

Hello All,

The leading offside boot popper has pulled through the vinyl material leaving its little hole behind with a small split above and below the hole. I have tried to do a repair with very strong thread to close the split up and backed it with a small patch of black ripstop tent ground sheet material. I used Evo stick for the patch but it won't hold. Anyone out there had to do a popper / vinyl repair like this with success. *wink*

I had exactly the same thing happen when a well known builder of cars had my car in for some warranty work. I had fitted a security popper for the half hood (can only be removed top edge first). They must have tried to remove it from the bottom, and tore the popper out of the boot cover (didn't say anything !).

I recall gluing the tear with superglue, then fitting a new popper ..... crimping this in place seems to have held the edges of the tear together ... been ok for 4 years now !!

Thankyou everyone for all your suggestions. I will mull over my options. Intend to use the car in the colder months so it may be I will ultimately go for a soft bits fabic boot cover in the future ready for next winter. This will save me having to use extreme quantities of frustration trying to popper a cold sheet of vinyl. that may be the time to get a repair done. If I come up with a satisfactory DIY answer I will post it.

Thanks again .... Tutty bye til nex time! *thumbup* *wavey*