Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel tank fixings

Mavic82

Interested in some advice on the newer style fuel tank fixings.

My car has the old style over the top straps that work really well. Working on a newer car it has a peice of angle that sits along the top front edge of the tank with a long bolt at either end that ties back down to the chassis at the lower rear corners.

Problem is it does not seem to hold the tank very well. It tries to tip backwards or slide backwards towards the rear panel. Seems like it needs something else at the front to pull the tank down??? Or should there be a spacer between the back of the tank and the rear panel vertical chassis tubes?

Any pointers please?

Thanks

Guy

Mmmm I have added some rubber under the tank ends, does your tank sit against the rear panel tubes or is there a gap. If the tank is at the front of it's 'saddles' there is around 3/4 inch behind the tank, which is where I would like it to stay.

I guess with a litre or more of fuel in it, it will be weighed down to some extent.

Cheers

Guy, I had no problm with mine which uses the same arrangement. Do you have the filler tube attached and located on the back panel? And the fuel line attached to the outlet? And the honeycomb and the ply floor in place? With that lot and a tank full of fuel, it houldn't go anywhere!

Ah lightbulb moment, of course with the boot floor in it can not tip.

All fitted perfectly well just was not keen on the filler and the fuel pipe helping with retention. But now you mention the boot floor I am satisfied.

Thanks for that

Guy

Guy

The tank should not rely on the boot floor to hold it in place. To prevent the tipping action you describe the rear face of the tank either needs to be back against the rear panel tubes. Normally there is some foam strip as a buffer.

If you want the tank further forwards then make up a couple of spacers (wood is fine) maybe faced with some foam strip to sit between the tank and the tubes. Also a block in the lower rear corners sitting on the chassis angles will help.

Angus

Angus,

Thanks, spacers at the rear would make sense, at least that way the clamp will tighten against something, I will make some up. Having not seen the installation before I have been sailing in the wind a bit, all the bits went together as clearly intended though. It just did not seem an ideal means of retaining the tank. I have to say I prefer the old method of fixing.

It won't go anywhere even without the spacers, just not satisfied with it currently.

Edited by - Mavic82 on 5 Feb 2011 21:48:41

The factory method of locating the tank is to fix some foam strip to the rear tubes and then clamp the tank against them using the angle piece. I needed my tank further forwards to allow clearance for a removeable spare wheel carrier. I made up wooden spacers, two for the tubes and two for the lower rear corners, each faced with foam. The effect was to move the tank forwards by about 2cm whilst still locating it securely. Fortunately the angle strip fixing bolts are long enough to accomodate.

Angus