Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LSD and flat / soft tyres

Tony Whitley

Trying to explain why my car snapped 90 degrees on a straight, dry road when being driven "normally" (i.e. not expecting anything untoward because I wasn't anywhere near the limit). It happened less than 200 yds from setting off with no warning so I'm thinking the tyre had a slow puncture. I think I remember hearing that LSDs will do this if one tyre is giving less grip than the other and I can see it in theory, can anyone confirm this or am I talking rubbish?

The LSD thing is when you are accelerating out of a corner. If you have an open diff then when one wheel starts spinning all the power goes to it and the other one freewheels. As a result only one wheel has lost traction and the other one steers you round the corner. In a similar situation with an LSD one wheel starts spinning and the power is maintained to the other wheel. If that too breaks traction then you have 2 spinning wheels and that end of the car will go straight on. If it's RWD then the car will be sideways very quickly.

Yes, I was accelerating, firmly but nothing excessive as the engine / night / tyres were cold though it was dry, I had just changed up to 3rd.

BOSS, something like that is theory I'm working to but I'm fairly sure I was already round the slight bend (not enough to put any great load on the tyre, I was only doing 20-30, just changed from 1st to 2nd). I had a slight sense of a loss of traction (forwards not sideways) when I let the clutch in in 2nd gear but other than that nothing felt wrong. If the NSR tyre was soft and started spinning forwards the LSD would suddenly put all power through the OSR and that would have to cope with all the load of accelerating the car. The car will easily break traction of both rear tyres on a dry warm road if the up-change to 3rd is clumsy so if a single tyre was asked to cope with normal acceleration I can see that it would not have much chance.

I'll check the radius arms later, I hadn't thought of that *rolleyes*

In a straight line I have had this on a dual carriageway in close zero degree temperatures, and a slippery wet road. The road was uphill and the camber was enough for the car to snap violently in 2nd.

I gathered it all up but it took me both lanes to do it, which was a bit of a worry.

It was extremely slippery though as touching the throttle afterwards lightly was enough for the back to step out.

Just wondering if there was a bit of oil around for you?

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

A few degrees above zero and dry as a bone but otherwise your experience sounds similar. In a fraction of a second I was travelling sideways, out of control, at no point did I have any chance of making any difference. We checked the road at the time (11 pm) and I went back yesterday in daylight - clean as a whistle.

If the NSR tyre was under inflated, the rolling radius would also tend to decrease. In conjunction with heavy acceleration that would take quite a bit of load off the OSF tyre. Depending on steering geometry that could give quite a change to the car feel.

Could that pull on the steering be what you experienced?

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

My Flickr Photos

Blatchatters Flickr Pool

Tony,

It's a scary feeling isn't it *eek*.

What I would say is that whenever I have had something broken on a car / tyre gone etc. then I can definitely feel it in normal driving afterwards. In my case it was definitely the road conditions and the car has been fine since.

How does yours feel?

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

I do have a lot of toe out (15 deg or so) which seems more than can be explained by the deranged front wishbones. I haven't tried straightening out the suspension yet to see if the wheels then point in the right direction, I was waiting until the insurance inspector had seen the car.