Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR/C400 pipercross air filter reference

marcos59

• Area Representative

Hi,

Anyone know pipercros airfilter reference used withh CSR carbon back plate / C400 Airbox ?

I would like to double check as mine seem too big for airbox

Thanks 😶‍🌫️

I'm sat here with mine and it doesn’t measure up like any of the ones one the Pipercross site but the closest is the C603D. Mine has an overall height of 100mm. I could do with a bigger one though because I can't fit the 90mm trumpets in just using the metal back plate. Which one do you think you have?

edited to say mine was supplied by CC for the C400 airbox and carbon back plate.

Jason

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 20 Dec 2010 01:02:12

• Area Representative

Many thanks for your answer Jason, *thumbup*

I think mine is the same with same trumpets clearance problem.

Also pipercross say 19mm clearance is needed between trumpets and filter.

Perhaps using the backplate will solve problem.

However car is not at home. I will double check and come back to you.

• Area Representative

Jason,

MANY thanks for Reverie link *thumbup*, it was prepared to place an order for a C400 back plate knowing it will need a lot modification Jenvey holes / Deep etc...but this one look far better (and half price!)

I have at the moment an alloy back plate and quite long trumpets (proably 90mm. I will check wednesday) I want to fit a C400 airbox to reduce TB noise as Duratec noise is a problem in most of tracks now and I'm sure inlet noise is worst than exhaust one (at least on my car) and need to find the good package ( back plate/filter/airbox)

I'm also quite worry about how much a C400 airbox will reduce air flow...

If you have the same filter as me then you won't get the 90mm trumpets in it with the ally back plate. I just measured up and the 30mm Reverie back plate will give about 27mm trumpet/filter top clearance. I just need to check if the 30mm further out the filter clips are will catch the bonnet.

jason

• Area Representative

Jason,

I have check on my car:

90mm trumpets

125mm height 604D domed filter

= 35mm clearance (19mm minimun required)

= Perfect but do not pass noise tests and can't be used with C400 airbox as designed for 603D 90mm height air filter.

I think solution is: 90mm 603D + 30mm reverie backplate = 120mm - 90mm trumpets = 30mm clearance AND allow fitment of C400 airbox to reduce noise

But I'm quite worry about bonnet...

My alloy backplate is already fitted up side down as filter clips catch bonnet if not.

With reverie back plate clips will be 30mm more on the lower side of bonnet.

I can send picture of my actual installation if needed.

I think solution is: 90mm 603D + 30mm reverie backplate = 120mm - 90mm trumpets = 30mm clearance AND allow fitment of C400 airbox to reduce noise

My thoughts exactly but like you I'm a little unsure if the clips on the back plate will contact the bonnet. Mine should he together soon so I'll measure up.

If you have any pics then I'd be interested in taking a look at the install.

Jason

I can't get my head around this *confused*

Your trumpets are matched to your engine spec and they are bolted direct to the DTH TB's. Unless your mad, you have to have a minimum gap between the trumpets and the filter. Therefore no matter how deep the filter or offset of the backplate, the trumpet length dictates how far out the filter sticks *confused* Can't see how your going to get away without cutting your bonnet *confused*

Yes, you could reduce the trumpet length, but that defeats the object of spending all that hard earned on your lovely engines *cool*

I have got to deal with my induction as places like Castle Combe can turf me off during a race meeting, to date for me the best option looks like the removable air scoop *wink*

Want to rent an 18th century Farmhouse in Rural Somerset?

Edited by - Pendennis on 24 Dec 2010 19:20:19

yes but we both want to fit the C400 airbox and this denotes what filter we have to use. Of course I want to stick with the 90mm trumpets if pos but if the 60mm work ok then it keeps the airbox inboard 30mm. If the 60mm shove the torque right up the rev range as expected then the 30mm Reverie back plate will still allow the use of the 90mm trumpets but there's a chance the part where the metal clips attach will catch the bonnet cutout on the lower edge. If it only catches by a small amount then it might be possible to raise the airbox by offsetting the holes by up to say 5mm and still keep the airbox in the current bonnet cutout.

Jason

• Area Representative

I'm agree: offsetting backplate hole is a solution but limited by chassis and also it will reduce trumpets clearance too.

Actually on my car backplate is up side down so clips are not a problem. But as c400 airbox is asymetrical you can't do the same.

I'm sure clips will need to be cut but i'm not too worry to find another upper fitting solution.

Only problem i see is 604d is rated for 290bhp and 603d for 230bhp (mine is 260).

Shallower reverie backplate will give extra air volume so i think it will be quite the same only air surface will be a bit reduced.

How many bhp are c400 racers ?

Im using a self made backplate thats a hybrid between ITG filter that clears the 90mm trumpets on dthtb's with an extra tab on the base of the filter to allow the C400 airbox to be fitted.

the backplate is lowered below the bonnetline by about 8mm and is not parallel to enable bonnet clearance and chassis clearance on the bonnet lower edge.

see pics on link sig below.

dj

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

• Area Representative

That's interresting Dave,

Do you have better pics of your back plate ? In fact I'm also interrested to have a look on your engine bay too 😬

I'm surprised you use a thin front ARB but it's another subject... *tongue*

• 4 months later...

Came across this thread when researching using the C400 airbox which I have been considering for my 16v vx lump with tb's. Toyed with knocking up something similar myself only with much more height to give plenty of volume and got as far as the blank but never seem to get the time to progress it, anyway and the old girl deserves a bit of bling!

Dave, would I be right in thinking that you have fitted the C400 airbox onto a flat back plate over 90mm trumpets? If so am I right in thinking that you have a 125mm (internal height) filter and does it leave much of a chamber between top of filter and top of airbox. I don't imagine much but if you are running it like that then I guess the performance is OK? How open is the airbox under that neat top hat?

Jason/Marco59, did either of you guys go for the reverie shallow backplate and if so how did it all come together and are you pleased with result?

Cheer guys.