Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec experts

Pendennis

What should be the maximum hours a 270bhp 2L Duratec engine used only for circuit racing do between refreshes. It's in my Caterham and I'd wish to opt on the safe side, but I've added up how many hours it's done at full bore and it has surprised me.

Want to rent an 18th century Farmhouse in Rural Somerset?

"its a race engine built to race"

*rolleyes*

so whats the difference between your "race engine" and the dozens of others running around with std shells or uprated (not that you can get any at the moment..., std crank or steel crank ?, was it all ballanced or was this not done as its a race engine and should be scraped after 1 weekend ?. What quality rods ? > ebay £250 or arrow ?, what pistons ??> slipper or full skirt ?, std valves or stainless or wanktatsic titanium sodium filled ?, what valve guide material and clearances ?, what valve springs > single or double ?, the doubles are bit dodgy, what material remains under the valve seats or could they be regressed?, what studs > strech arp or std ?, what cams ?, are they stressing the buckets with their extreme lift ?, cam chain tensioner done ?,

the list goes on and on .....

without knowing what your actual quality of component specifiction and clearances you cant put a life on the engine shirley *smile*.

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 8 Dec 2010 20:58:42

Yes I spoke with experts, I agree and accept their opinions. Problem is, after speaking to them, I have actually calculated what it has done, now I am wondering whether it actually needs a refresh. But, belt and braces I was hoping to get it refreshed, though my preferences are busy causing me a delay to next year.

Dave, not sure what your getting at. Would you race with wanktastic ebay components *confused*

Balanced lightened steel crank, forged arrow rods, forged Omega pistons, uprated shells, standard Cosworth end bolts (thats what is used now), uprated Cosworth timing tensioner and chain. It uses standard valves which have done 2 seasons, I worry about these. Cams are Kent 300 something profile, they got to be wild to get 270 out the 2L. Dry sumped, uprated valve springs but don't know about guides though I have no doubt they are nothing but top spec (for the sake of this lets presume they are the nuts *wink*)

3 seasons could be 120 hours or 30 hours 😬

It's done no more than 20 hours at race pace, that is not including idle of poodling around parade laps etc..

At the end of the day I may not be able to get it refreshed by someone I am happy with, but I just was curious as 20 hours don't sound a lot does it?

Edited by - Pendennis on 8 Dec 2010 22:11:28

morning *smile*

not getting at anything , but sodium filled titanium valves are wanktastic *tongue* - I have such a beastie from a superbike in my garage and it's a thing of beauty 😶‍🌫️

20 hours at race pace is quite a lot on my opinion given a single race is circa average 25 mins hence 45 races

I would describe that as more than 3 seasons ?

friend if mine just had a £6k rebuild after 3 seasons of total 21 races with HWR and his 305 bhp 2.3 built with similar spec components. This was to ensure reliability and performance with cost not being such an issue.

dave

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 9 Dec 2010 05:41:44

Good morning.

20 hours is accumulation of testing, qualifying and racing. Our races tend to be 15 minutes. I actually calculated 19 hours on track, so probably 15 hours is flat out.

I have a dilema then............ *mad*

19 hours?? Even a Radical will do that!

My mate who bought the Juno (with sealed 250bhp 2.0l Honda VTec and Hewland 6 speed sequential paddle shift) had a lot of conversations with Ewan who owns Juno. Apparently he advises a refresh (or infact just replace with another crated engine) after 120 RACE Hours so I can't see why you would refresh after only 19 hours *confused* Infact a Juno is designed to do a 24 hour race so well more than your 19 hours, appreciate its a different engine but the power outputs are similar for the same capacity and I think the VTec revs to 9,000rpm

Did Raceline build this engine Ian? If so I'd trust Peters view.

Where's Ammo when you need his expertise *smile*

Duratec R538 Build and Modification Pictures

here

Edited by - MikeE on 11 Dec 2010 09:35:42

Yes it is an all steel Raceline jobby, it's been an absolute cracker, but it has always had a refresh after two seasons of circuit racing. I was surprised how little the engine had actually done. I added it all up, it was 19 hours max, due to 2009/10 reliability problems *redface* not engine issues though *thumbup*.

Pete says it should be okay as 19 hours is not a lot, but trying to get a definative run time limit on such an engine like mine seems difficult 😬 Don't suppose there is one to be honest and as it's motorsport the 'don't blame me' scenario exists *biggrin*

I spoke to Ammo, he is very busy *thumbup*

120 hours seems huge to me. I have made my own conclusion, an engine such as mine used in the manner I use mine, should have a life of 40 hours. My last two race seasons have been short, normally they are longer.

Mike YHM

Ian I believe an SR3 will do 80hrs and and SR8 will do 40hrs between refreshes so a car based engine should do at least 80 I would have thought?

No mail, did you send it direct or via BlatMail?

Duratec R538 Build and Modification Pictures

here

Edited by - MikeE on 11 Dec 2010 10:11:57