Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Erratic DRE shift lights

lavena

I had some problems with my DRE Shiftlights and as a result I got replacement unit. The same problems are present so conclusion is that it is an issue with the signal - I'd like to know if others with the same model have been able to make the shiflights work.

2009 Roadsports SV 175

Shiftlights connected to white/black tacho feed with +/-ve feeds from bolt through the bulkhead and aircraft switch.

The shiftlights need to be set up as if I have a 1 cylinder engine (!)

The rpm display seems to be correct.

Problem is the shiftlights flash at tickover - seemingly indicating an imminent stall.

Issue seems to be an erratic pulse signal *confused* - need to find a oscilloscope to really diagnose this.

Has anyone with a similar setup had this problem? and if not what/where were your connections?

Andy

RoadSport 175 SV

Hi Andy,

Might be a silly question, but at what RPM is the stall flash set to?

Could also be power feed, I took mine from the tacho as well. How to on my website below, the tacho unit will be the same as it's a similar vintage.

Regards,

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic

As far as I can see the stall indicator is on or off only.

I did wonder about the power especially the earth - have asked DRE whether that could be an issue. Only reason why I didn't take it from the tacho was it meant cutting two more wires!

Andy

RoadSport 175 SV

It's not such a major issue to cut the extra wires; you'll know that it's got a good feed then, as if the tacho works, so should the lights! I used connector crimps as it made it a little easier for me. Looking back though, I should have fitted both new ends of the original loom to one connector, and the shift lights to the other, so it would be fully removable... Ah hindsight.

Anyway, I can't find my instructions, but you might well be right about the stall. I'm guessing it's still the same if you turn it off?

Try earthing it to something else, the bulkhead may not be the best place, especially if it's the 'painted black' ali...

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic

I made up some short tails so I didn't need to cut the loom. My car is a 1998 model and has spade connectors on the tachometer. I put two wires into a female connector which went onto tachometer one of the wires was fitted with a male connector which went into loom and the second wire was fitted to shift light. Had to make three of these.

Ian

You were spot on - bad power feed (probably earth).

A bit tricky to have the original loom ends going into one connecter - not a lot of spare wire - you seemed to have a lot more than me. But done - and all worked properly first time!

Ian - unfortunately my tacho has a multi-connector on it so no choice but to cut ☹️ !

Andy

RoadSport 175 SV