Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting a fuel injection tank

Pezky

As part of my extensive upgrade I have fitted fuel injection to a previously carbs engined car.

I have a fuel injection pump ( one that mounts outside the tank ). I am planning to buy a fuel tank from Axminster panels.

So what else do I need 🤔

Jonathan

penn7's pesky Zetec 😬

Return line from the fuel pressure regulator to the tank

In-line high pressure fuel filter between the pump and the fuel rail. Ideally you should also have a filter between the tank and the pump. The standard submerged pump has a bag strainer on its intake to avoid debris getting in and damaging the pump.

Does your tank have anti-surge baffles fitted? If not you should consider a swirl pot with a secondary low-pressure pump to keep it charged. Otherwise you'll get fuel starvation on corners when the fuel gets below a certain level in the tank.

Depending on the age of the car you may also need a new filler cap/nozzle. Get a decent Newton large one from Think Automotive. Stay away from the horrible CC one which doesn't do the one job its supposed to - i.e. let you fill the tank! You will also need to make sure whichever filler you have can breath, otherwise the vacuum created by the fuel level dropping will cause fuel starvation. Search the archives for info on drilling a SMALL hole in the filler cap.

Make sure your fuel pump fuse is rated for the pump. The standard 10A one can blow after a while and leave you stranded if you don't have a spare.

Jonathon,

my new injection tank from Andy should be ready for despatch now, and I'm upgrading from a carb set-up aswell.

Your new fuel pump will sit inside a baffled section inside the tank, so you don't need a swirl pot or secondary low pressure pump, there'll always be fuel around the pump.

I don't know which filler cap you have, but I have the Newton type for a carb'ed vehicle which has a small breather in it already, so I shouldn't require a secondary breather in the filler neck( at least, Andy has advised me this as my car hasn't conked out before due to vaccuming of the tank!).

I was also planning on a high pressure filter between the tank and the pump, and obviously the return fuel line from the pressure regulator.

Have you bought the standard CC fuel pump, or have you 'out-sourced' from somewhere else? I need to buy a pump myself and don't want to just order the CC one if there's an alternative?

Cheers Les.

I did this conversion a couple of years ago, i used my standard tank and fuel pump but added a swirl pot from ebay and a jag high pressure fuel pump from ebay and a return pipe to the tank, the conector for this can be a bolt in so no welding. The high pressure pump is right by the injectors so this means the run through the car is at 4 bar rather than 50 which is safer in my mind. Anyway it was the cheapest option as well and whatever people say it is nice to have a swirl pot imho.

mark

Thanks for the replies chaps *thumbup*

I have a Zytec in line fuel pump (FP603 to be correct) and a regulator - supplied by Raceline. Fuel filler is a Newton type.

I was looking at the swirl pot approach - as it will be cheaper? - but things are getting a bit crowded around the axle ie standard fuel pump fuel.

Jonathan

penn7's pesky Zetec 😬