Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dry sump tensioner pulley ....

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

Technical POBC ......

When I had my last car (K-Series), following fitting a dry sump system I bought the Caterham ally tensioner pulley which unfortunately I didn't get round to fitting.

I now have the engine out of my new car and plan to swap to the ally pulley ..... but how is the pulley located onto the bearing? Is it just a press fit? Bearing lock? There would appear to be a groove, that although a little wide could possibly take a sizeable circlip? Also, which way round does the pulley go? Wide flange front or back? Questions questions questions!!!

Stu.

Joint Area Representative MAD Sevens (Merseyside And District)

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

I used bearing fit (Loctit) on mine as the bearing was a sliding fit in the pulley + yes you need a big circlip. However, its very important that the belt runs centrally in the grove and is not forced in either direction. To do this line up the pulley assembly on its 2 bolt mounting and assemble it without bearing fit or circlip for a trial - then see if the pulley needs turning around or not to ofset the grove in the best direction. On mine I still needed a bit more ofset so I used 2 washers between the tensioner and the mounting on the block just to space it forward a bit. Been on now for 2 years and still runs perfectly.

Nick

• Leadership Team

Cheers *thumbup*, really useful info!

Mav - do you want to swap the circlip for some spark plugs and wing stays?

Edited to add - bearing now in place with Loctite bearing retainer and circlip ordered from Caterham *thumbup* Mav, I'll keep the bits 😬

Stu.

Edited by - sforshaw on 12 Nov 2010 14:26:30

• Leadership Team

Update for information .....

The new pulley will only fit one way round - circlip/thicker rim to the front. Turn it round and the pulley fouls the mounting flange. Fully assembled the alignment is wrong therefore as Nick says, it's going to need some shims/washers behind the tensioner mount, but it's also a good opportunity to ensure the align of the pump drive pulley is correct also.

Stu.

• Leadership Team

Malcolm, the bearing size is 6203 which we use loads of at work ...... except that this one is 6203LHA which a bit of searching around has shown is a spec for high temperature use. They seem to be used mostly in automotive applications and not common outside the industry. I took a good look at the old one and decided it was "as new" and should have loads more life in it, so I cut the plastic pulley through to the bearing at opposite sides and just broke the old pulley away enabling the bearing to be re-used. Also, the fit of the bearing in the new pulley enables the bearing to be easily replaced in the future if there's a problem.

Stu.