Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cambelt change

Caterham Kid

As part of my service I am about to do on the Seven I am going to need to change the cambelt. It is a 1.8 K series. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a twin cam locking tool and the crankshaft locking tool? Or alternatively what is the easiest way round it?

*** Viper Blue Roadsport 1.8 K series 140bhp C7 PBD ***

Caterham Kid AKA Pete

*arrowup* That's the one. I got mine from EliseParts.com along with all the other service items like Cam Belt and oil filter and alternator belt etc.

To lock the crank, I placed a screwdriver (clamped to the block) into the flywheel teeth near the starter motor. This might not be a very good idea but it worked for me, take a 2nd opinion before following me 😬

*thumbup*

Cheers!

I will get one ordered this evening hopefully.

Previously on motorcycles I have used 2p pieces to "jam" the gears as they are softer so the 2p takes the brunt (I'll be in trouble for defacing the Queen's currency!). I just wondered if there was a more official tool for this.

I have also heard there are 2 types of cambelt for the K Series so I need to get the cover off to check. Anyone shed any light on this?

And also... while I'm asking... can anyone confirm the torque setting for the crankshaft? I believe it is 205Nm but could be wrong!

Caterham Kid AKA Pete

The screwdriver in the ring gear technique has been OK for over 200 cambelt changes on various K series engines.. Crack the crankbolt first until it is slack, then turn the engine to 90BTDC and place the cam locking tool, then remove the crank bolt.

If your engine is post 2000 then you need an auto tensioner belt, Gates 5497XS.

Oily

Rich

I think (so may not be right) that is why I need to first one i.e. wihtout gearbox. As I understand it, it bolts on if you remove the starter motor.

I am happy to go withe the screwdriver method but if I can find a more secure way then all the better.

More investigation required I think!!!

Caterham Kid AKA Pete

All of the currently avaialble flywheel locking tools can only be used when the engine is removed from the bellhousing.

The easiest and most effective way is to lock the flywheel just below the starter with a stout screwdriver wedged in the ring gear. Beware the screwdriver blade making contact with the solenoid....

Other methods include removal of the crank sensor and insertion of some round bar into the crank sensor pattern, but this can only be done on post '97 flywheels and not on any of the 'R' series as the tooth form won't allow it.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 2 Nov 2010 11:13:53

When I did mine I put the hand brake on, put it in 6th and got 'my female assistant' to stand on the brakes. The nut came off and I was able to torque it up correctly using the same method as well.

I marked the bolt with tippex on re assembly. I do the same on the big drive shaft nuts as well. If they do move you can see at a glance what is happening.

S7MAD

Ok how the hell do you lock the flywheel with a screwdriver? I am probably being thick (or maybe it's just this headache I've got!!). I have located the flywheel but it is mostly covered by a housing and there is no way I can see of locking it with a screwdriver - there's virtually no access!

I think when the time comes I may have to opt for putting it in fifth with the handbrake on and getting someone to stamp on the brakes.

Thanks for the video link by the way. I have seen it before and it's very useful. Much easier if the engine is on the bench!

Caterham Kid AKA Pete

Just below the starter motor is a gap which goes through to the bellhousing/flywheel via which the flywheel ringgear is accessible. This gap stops at the 'wing' on the main bearing ladder at the bottom and the starter base at the top. A stout screwdriver is inserted into this gap so that the blade meshes with the ring gear, as the crank is rotated the screwdriver bears up against the top/bottom of the slot and stops the flywheel turning allowing the bolt to be undone/done up. You may need to support the screwdriver to prevent it from dislodging.

Simples...

Oily

ok, I've had a poke around. I can't see how to do it on the starter motor side but I think I have managed to lock the flywheel on the inlet side as described.

It will be about a week or so before I do the job as I am still waiting for a couple of bits but I have got the twin cam locking tool now.

Thanks for all the help.

I will shout if I get stuck! *smile*

Caterham Kid AKA Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Well... 4.5 hours it took to do the effin' thing in the end! *mad* I think the youtube video was about 10 minutes! *rolleyes*

Did it once and the timing marks didn't line up. A few phone calls and a bit of advice on tricks of the trade and it all seemed to go ok the second time.

And... locking the flywheel with a screwdriver doesn't work. waste of time. kept on slipping then getting stuck. tried all sorts of positions and screw drivers. In the end put it in fifth and handbrake on hard and jobs a goodun!

Caterham Kid AKA Pete