Click here if you are having website access problems ×

OT Any auto gear box experts?

Red SLR

My range rover is doing some odd things!

Drives fine at very low speeds 40mph.

However, between 30 and 40 mph (i.e most of the time!) I am getting the engine picking up and dropping off by about 300rpm. I.e changing up and down from 4th to 5th.

It "hunts" like this on very light throttle. If you accelerate more than 30% throttle, it does not do it.

Only seems to do it once out of "warm up" mode too i.e after the first 5 mins or so.

Whilst its in warm up mode it does not do it.

Spoke to a few experts, and they are saying its not really a known fault on the 4.4V8 with the BMW engine. Apparently the Jag 4.4 does this! But not the BMW. I have the BMW...

Anyway, at the moment I am investigating low cost options as LR main dealer are probably looking at a gearbox (£5k).

I am wondering if its the MAF... but something is telling me it might be a problem with the gearbox...

Dont suppose we have any auto gearbox experts on here who have seen this issue before?

☹️

Edited by - red slr on 14 Oct 2010 10:31:22

I would get the gearbox diagnostics read for faults. I would also change the gearbox oil to see if there is any burning or discolouration and to rule it out as a problem.

I would check the MAF first as its a cheaper action than the 2 suggestions above.

Gavin

1988 1700 Supersprint (LA, long cockpit)

Indeed. The gear oil is silly money. I have read on another forum you have to change it 3 times (or use a special pump) to make sure all the old oil is out. (well 94% apparently!)

The only issue with the MAF, is according to the service manual it cant be changed without a main dealer re-code on the ECU??

Not sure if this is the case or not... anyways, I am planning to have a look at the MAF on the weekend to see if there are any visable issues.

Red

have you tried this website?

Rangerovers.net

and the Forums here

Range Rover Forums

Following EU and US law changes (1995?) all diagnostic code (OBDII) has to be available to third parties. So the Dealers can no longer be closed shops.

See

Black Box Solutions

I have diagnostic kit from them (the older Rovacom Lite). It has saved me a lot of money over the years (and even more for my friends except for the occasional bottle of wine or box of chocs for my time). The new product Faultmate FCR might be just what you need and pay for itself in dealer hourly rates/gearbox oil changes in a very short period of time.

Finally,

The only issue with the MAF, is according to the service manual it cant be changed without a main dealer re-code on the ECU??

That doesn't sound quite right. I am sure that the Range Rover Forums can clarify that for you.

Gavin

Edited by - Clousta on 15 Oct 2010 16:26:18

Cheers, yes I have spent some hours searching RR and FFRR and I have spoke to RRPhil too (gearbox expert) who is sitting on the fence at the mo.

I have seen the faultmate, but when looking at the site the price is c.£1000.... *eek*

Or am I looking at the wrong product?

Cheers *wavey*

Well, the D-F is done. Its smoother, thats for sure. The £160 (yes thats not a typo) oil that went in made me ☹️

Anyway, its smoother, but the problem is still there *cry*

Off to Bra-f'd (Bradford) tomorrow to see the gearbox man. *wavey*

Red,

that oil looks very dark and dull. I am not sure of the specification of the oil that the MkIII RR uses but my Dexron III in the MkII is light pink. I changed my Gearbox oil at 98,000 miles (Double flush and filter change) and I think I will change it again shortly (at 152,000 miles). When I checked it at the weekend, before going down to the Ardennes, it still looked as clean and bright and smelt the same as the new stuff that I have bought.

Did it smell burnt? If so that my help the gearbox tech know where to look.

Good luck.

Gavin

Just for info the L322 RR 4.4 bmw petrol engines use a ZF gearbox which needs a different spec oil to the diesel ones which use a different make of box.

The landrover part number is STC 4863 and it only seems to come in 1 litre bottles at circa 20 quid a go and you need about 7 or 8

Or use Esso ATF LT 71141 but hard to find. If anyone has a supply essex or suffolk let me know please.

DO NOT USE NORMAL ATF OR DEXRON

They are meant to be sealed for life but mine is going in to be done at the next service.