Click here if you are having website access problems ×

roller barrel R400

paul seymour

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The track day was through MSV and it was a Novice day, so was just right for me. It turned out I was the only Caterham on the circuit. I booked a session with an instructor and it was well worth the money.

I am booked through Geoff for the Brands Hatch GP Circuit, which should be brilliant.

A thought re your new RB's. I don't know what ECU or mapping you have on your 7: I took mine (following recommendations on Tech Threads again)to Track 'n Road to have my standard ECU mapped for optimum performance by the "2 Steve's". It made a fantastic difference to the tracktability and power of the car and low speed running in traffic became enjoyable - no popping and bangs and overruns and surges. Driving home it was like a different - and much more fun - car. They are just across the Tunnel from you, in Essex, so if you have some time to spare, I would highly recommend a visit to Track 'n Road, to get the most from your new RB's.

And a word on their customer service: when my 7 came off the rolling road, they said, " take it for a test drive. If you don't think we've made a difference, don't pay us".

I paid *biggrin*

I took mine (following recommendations on Tech Threads again)to Track 'n Road to have my standard ECU mapped for optimum performance by the "2 Steve's". It made a fantastic difference to the tracktability and power of the car and low speed running in traffic became enjoyable - no popping and bangs and overruns and surges. Driving home it was like a different - and much more fun - car.

What BHP & torque did you get?

I'm just installing a Raceline 2.0 litre Duratec which is R400 spec plus jenvey throttle bodies. Raceline quote 210bhp which is the same as a standard R400.

Tony

Edited by - TonyR on 7 Mar 2011 11:56:31

Re accommodation for Llandow, there's an excellent B&B here. It's about half a mile from the circuit. There's a very good pub/restaurant a short walk away in Sigingstone here. And if you're into old Triumph motorbikes, John has a couple he'd be delighted to show you, I'm sure.

JV

Tony

Following the Tech Talk threads on rough low speed running, I opted to take the Track 'n Road path. My motivation was for better running rather than greater power.

Part of the Track 'n Road prep before starting their mapping of my 7 was to run a compression test. This found cylinders 1 and 3 with 215. Their pressure test showed significant inlet valve leakage. Nevertheless with my OK they carried on and the car measured 216 BHP and 152lbft torque once they had finished.

The car has since been back to Caterham who changed rings, reworked the head etc. It is noticeably quicker now than when I picked it up from T 'n R. I don't have new figures though but it'll be > 216for sure. *smile*

The main thing for me that T 'n R did was the way they improved the power delivery. More responsiveness, smoother delivery and none of the over-fuelling issues common on the standard set up. The power and torque curves are much more user-friendly.

Sitting with them as they recorded the initial standard settings then remapped the ECU to the new settings, you get to see just how "out" the generic settings are and how much they can be moved into a more efficient curve.

Hope this is helpful

Chris

For the current RBTB upgrade that CC do for 175 and 210 Duratecs I think they require the ECU to be sent back to them for either remapping or replacement. I wonder how 'out' their settings may be - if at all. I wonder if then taking the car to R&R would help with issues that Paul and others have noticed regarding lower MPG. (I would expect some lowered MPG of course but 35 to 20ish sounds quite a difference).

If not concerend about the fact that it was an 'official' CC upgrade - would it be an idea to source the TBs and injectors elsewhere then pay for a remapping session at R&R instead - which may result in a more refined map for your specific car? Thoughts?

I am still not crystal clear on whether the PIN protected MBE ECU that comes with the current R300 can be remapped by anyone other than CC though. Anyone have the definitive on that?

For clarity on my K series 1800, I am still getting 35 mpg or so when out and about everyday. Low 20's was track day use, rather than anything T 'n R did.

I also heard a rumour that CC have been known to use T 'n R for tuning, as it's a couple of miles across the bridge from Dartford. Can't substantiate this though.

Chris

For clarity on my K series 1800, I am still getting 35 mpg or so when out and about everyday. Low 20's was track day use, rather than anything T 'n R did.

WoW that's impressive mine is around 25-28 out and about down to 20ish on a Blat *eek*

Maybe I need to get down to the two steves with mine 😬

Martin

I think if it's mbe the two steves can map it *wink* as far as I'm aware anyway 😬

which one do you have in yours ? Worth a call to T&R *thumbup*

A call to T 'n R is well worth it. I know they say they can remap all sorts of systems. They have an extensive "library" of maps and keep everyone's "personal" map for future reference. That way if you need an instant re-map to your previous settings, they are able to do that.

They aren't cheap and they do take a long time to get it right. So be prepared for a late night and >£400 if you do decide to pay them a visit.

To be fair, they aren't the only game in town and a scan through Tech Talk will produce other equally rated tuning companies around the UK. T 'n R are a 30 min ride away for me so it was a no-brainer.

*arrowup* *thumbup*Thanks mark,i will try to book the dunsfold day when the form is available later this month,i think like you said it will be a great day out. *wavey*ps have you booked those b&b/hotels yet for your trip,dave sv and i need to sort ours too but its hard to know where to aim for in a day,which has secure parking and the choice is huge in places to stay. I am sure they will fill quickly though so must get on to it now. *confused*

• 1 year later...
It may be only 10 bhp on paper but even allowing for the absolutely feral induction snarl the car feels a lot quicker- and I mean a LOT !.Collected today from Cat Midlands after RBTB fitted and first time I gave it what Troy Queef would term the full beans I couldn't believe the difference. On light throttle- bit smoother , better tickover but once she is breathing hard (ooh err ) she bloody flies. Interesting bangs and pops on over- run- going to be challenging slowing down for horses without scaring the poor things silly *rolleyes* She likes a drink too - but not really too much more than with original plenum set up.

John V

Not sure how much the RB's add to the noise level. I know when I had the old exhaust fitted, with the RB's, I just scraped in under 105dB.

With a new CC silencer and no other changes I did get under 98 no problem. Re-packing the exhaust may be worth considering if you're going to upgrade to the RB's.

John A

Interested to read of the pops and bangs. I had those till Track and Road (AKA The 2 Steve's) built me my own map. Clean as a whistle now. I am sure there is a similar tuning operation in the midlands you could use.

Good luck with the upgrade *wink*

Edited by - velocityblade on 24 Mar 2012 15:15:02