Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rotting Prisoners

Ian Barkley

The paint on my Prisoner alloy wheels is bubbling sad.gif], presumably due to some corrosion beneath, I have not poked through the blisters yet blush.gif.

I have been quoted £35.00 per wheel [£175 for the set] for sandblasting and repainting.

Is it usual to have this problem after three years question.gif

Is there a better treatment question.gif

Could I treat them and paint them myself question.gif

I would be grateful for any advice biggrin.gif

Ian B

Yup,

took about 9 years for mine too. I stripped mine using nitromors and then polished them using a power drill and variety of widgets and polishes. The result is not bad but the effort involved was considerable, to be honest I'd probably pay the man his money. I ran them as polished alloy for a year but they require a lot of upkeep to remain shiny like the bodywork. I'm now painting them with hammerite (mixed to the same colour as my car- yellow for the 7 badge in the centre) after treating with special surface primer. Too early to tell yet though and it's on hold while I paint the new house smile.gif.

Cheers, Simon.

The rims are alloy so they definately can't rust, it is either the disks or hubs which are both iron.

Solution might be to cover the disks with a thin layer of grease so they don't rust, and don't brake as this will rub the grease off enabling them to rust again.

John Noaks says... "ask an adult before trying this"

I too have had the streaky marks that are brownish in colour. You're right of course, it is not the wheels themselves but the 'rust' originates I think from the discs. My theory (by Miss Ann Elk--you have to be a Monty Python fan to get this) goes like this. After getting caught in the inevitable British downpours the car gets put away with wet discs. They rust in five minutes flat & then the next time out the first few applications on the brakes causes the rust dust to deposit on the wheels thro. those triangular cutouts. OK?

PS If I don't use the brakes it'll run away on the hill where she's garaged so I don't want to hear shouts of "What? Using brakes. Shock horror probe!"