Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bonnet fit

Julian Thompson

I did find that after I left my bonnet leaning against the garage wall on its back corners for a couple of weeks it had "relaxed" into a different (looser) position.

I now try to leave it on the car all the time, but it can be VERY GENTLY bent back into shape, more curve in the curves should allow the middle flat bit to sit flat against the scuttle and the nose cone.

Nick

ps if you forget to fix your bonnet properly and it flies off, aparently Armco is a nice radius to bend the bonnet back into shape, and provided conveniently at the side of the road.

Hi Jue,

My original bonnet fitted really well and did not lift; however, the new one lift in the centre which is very distracting particularly on the track and is my excuse for going round so slowly.

My new one looks to be slightly larger than the original

Best regards

Hoops - sure you can, although I am not sure about red with metalic orange nose! not sure it will make much of a difference and IMO I would see little point in changing to one, except for the alledged kudos of carbon fibre. i cannot see it taking more that 0.001 of your lap times

I have spare kawasakie green one, which will match even less *confused*

Rob

PS it is already knackerd after a cone incident last year so do not worry about any more damage. *wink*

Cheers Peter *wink* - when are we next likely to bump into each other 🤔

Are you doing the slipstream day 🤔 or the rumble 🤔

my new GRP nose and chassis combo still had the old style nose with space for Dzuses and came with 4 of them. I think the hooking over the chassis rail design is only on SVs.... *confused*

HOOPY CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

Edited by - hoopy on 5 Sep 2002 14:47:04

My SV nosecone only has fixings on the top - "hooking over" the chassis rail is a bit of an exaggeration - "resting on" would be a better description.

There is quite a lot of movement so I took the simple step of drilling a hole in the bottom lip of the nosecone and passing a plastic tiewrap through this and round the rail - this anchors the lower part of the nosecone very securely.

removal and refitting just involves a snip and a new tiewrap. *idea* *thumbup*

SV 52 CAT - the Mole is flying

When I picked my car up from Caterham in April they'd inadvertently reversed a Suburu into it and cracked the CF nose cone. They subseuqnetly replaced it in May with one without the bottom clips. The cars a year 2000 SL, don't know what the difference between an SV and standard nose cone would be either, surely the width of the cars are the same at that point?