Click here if you are having website access problems ×

OT Ford Ka Steering prob

virden

I was asked to check out a friend's Street Ka and found something most odd with the steering. When turning into a bend the car behaves as if it has roll understeer, even at very sedate speeds I.E turn the wheel and hold it steady into a bend, and midway through, the chosen degree of turn will suddenly but progressively tighten up without the steerimg wheel being moved. At high speed this is most alarming. Tyre wear is even and nothing appears to be loose.The car has only 20K on the clock and is straight, having been owned from new.

Any suggestions as what next to check?

Tyre pressures - way too high or low on the rear.

Tyre patterns/makes - ie somethnig really crap / or brand new and covered in release agent, on the rear?

Broken anti-roll bar connections at the front? My 106 has a dodgy one on one side, so it is rather tail happy one way, and not so much the other.

Bri

Does it have any PAS fluid?

Can the symptoms be replicated at a standstill with the engine on and off? If it does it with the engine on and not with the engine off, you can probably narrow it down to PAS pump or fluid, rather than a mechanical problem with the rack fixings/suspension. Sounds to me that the pump isn't maintaining PAS fluid pressure.

Q41 ACF Classic Grad #98

The steering column UJ is also known to fail leading to a stiff and heavy feel as if the power steering has failed. Ford in their wisdom made the column and UJ all one unit on PS models so if the UJ has gone its a complete column assembly. Had to replace one on my daugthers KA!