Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Water temp transmitter

ben7

OK, so yet another numpty question....

I am reliably informed that I need to source a water temp transmitter for my car. Apparently these are different from the 'senders' which I know well having replaced many an oil one before going mechanical.

I can't seem to find one on the CC website, although that could be because I don't actually know what I am looking for!

Does anybody know where I can pick one up from? And what it is I actually need (size etc)

I know I'm running a rather unique engine setup, but the rad was originally from a k series so should be of a 'standard' size.

Any help appreciated....

Ben-----217 bhp of blue and orange PUMA POWERED ex academy Gulf pastiche

I'm running a 1.7 ford puma engine. My mistake, I had assumed that the transmitter was connected to the rad.

Yep, I need a transmitter for the water guage. By that I mean my water guage ain't working and apparently I need a transmitter to fix it iyswim *wink*

Ben217 bhp of blue and orange PUMA POWERED ex academy Gulf pastiche

Hi

We have a Fester rally car with a 1.7 Puma Zetec-SE, the original ford dash temp gauge is driven from an output from the ford ecu and doesn't have a separate sender, we are using Emerald ecu and installed a sender on a top hose adaptor and fitted a secondary sender. Both available from Demon Tweeks.

Hope this helps

OK, so I am at a complete disadvantage here as I don't have a clue what I'm asking 😬

I know that I started with an 05 k series academy car running a k series and swapped the engine to the Puma unit I have now (complete with Emerald ecu). None of the instruments have been changed from stock and importantly the water temp gauge has previously worked without issue.

My 'man' has told me that I need a new transmitter. I asked him whether this was the same thing as a sender and he said no, the sender works fine, it is the transmitter that I need.

Without knowing what a transmitter is, it's difficult to ask what is probably a really simple question, but I'm hoping that someone might be able to make sense of the straws that I'm clutching at *smile*

In normal terms a sender and transmitter are usually used to mean the same thing, at a more generic electronic level a transmitter would be a transducer which would be an active device (with it's own electronic functionality such as a MAP sensor) where a sender would normaly just be a passive device like a simple resistance that varies with temp (as per a car temp gauge)

Your 'man' sounds like he doesn't really know what he's talking about either tbh (no offence intended) as either a ECU or gauge temp sender is a passive device, the ecu one normally has two pins so it can be earthed accurately unlike the gauge sender earthing thro it's screw thread.

It does sound like the engine has been setup with a gauge sender in the past mind you so not sure what you have, if the ecu sender which you may refer to as a transmitter was open circuit the ecu would default to a value in the temp compensation map.

Thanks Gavin, I think I followed that. I'm at the Church Mouse tonight so I shall invoke the might of the ne7ers to help me out. 😬

It never occured to me that the water temp signal went to the ECU (ok so obvious now!), I simply thought it served the dial on the dash, much like the oil pressure.

Out of interest, would the lack of an water temp signal to the ecu (and default compensation map) cause the engine to run rich? I say that as it was originally mapped with a working sender/transmitter.

Ben

If the ecu connection or sender itself fails it will most likely go rich as thats the safest default compared to possibly making it go weak, Emerald isn't compatible with the standard Ford ecu temp as they have a unique scaling factor.

Hi Gavin, thanks for the answer.

I had a chat with my 'man' tonight where he swore blind that he never said that a transmitter was different from a sender. Which, to be fair to him, is probably true seeing as I am generally clueless about things like this.

It turns out that the water temp sender to the Emerald is fine. It is the sender to the dial that is U/S.

Thanks for the help, without it I wouldn't have known which questions to ask him and find the part here that I was looking for *thumbup*