Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Throttle pedal wrong place/size?

MartinH

Hi All,

My throttle pedal is not right. I am used to doing heel and toe changes on other cars but can't get them right on my new R300.

The standard position was really bad but I have adjusted the brake and throttle padals a bit (by bending them in a massive bench vice!) so that they are closer together but the problem really is that the 'hoop' at the end of the throttle is too high off the ground in relation to the position of the brake.

I don't think bending any more is the answer and moving the throttle to the other bolt position closer to the driver won't do the trick either. Is there any kind of extension I can get/make that would make it a bit longer and therefore further down towards the floor? It doesn't need to be much to be 'right' but at the moment its really annoying me.

Cheers for any bright ideas.

Martin

Duratec R300 SV finally alive!

I decided against butchering and bought a set of thin sparco pedals (don't remember the name). I then drilled a hole in the front side of the loop for the top sparco pedal bolt and one 90 degrees to it at the bottom of the loop. Then bent a 1mm metal strip (about 90 degrees) and drilled a couple of holes in that, so that one hole aligns with the bottom hole on the gas pedal loop and the other with the second (lower) hole in the saprco pedal. The fit is very solid. It works perfectly and looks fine. *thumbup* I don't have a picture of it unfortunately (need to take some *redface*)

Hi Carl,

Yes, a firmer middle pedal would help the quality of downshifts even more - but first I need to get the thottle pedal more reachable. At the moment I have to conciously press the brake much lower down on my foot - I.e. My foot is higher off the ground - in order to be able to then rock my foot over to blip the throttle. Its just not comfortable and takes away some control.

I like the idea of the Sparco pedal extension so I might see if I get get something like that on ebay. A bit 'bling' but hey!

Duratec R300 SV finally alive!

I had the same thing Martin. If I was trying to H&T my foot would be too far from the throttle and too deep.

Firstly I got Chris at CC Mids to bend the brake pedal over towards the throttle, which also gives me a path for my left foot to get between above and below the clutch pedal.

Secondly I removed the throttle pedal stop and adjusted the cable and top stop to give me a lower throttle pedal. I can now H&T again. If you need some pics I'll take some next time I have the pedal box cover off.

A race MC is another option, but I'd like to try before I go for one as many people don't get on with them. Harder to modulate they say.

Martyn

R300GRR

I did the following:

1) Made a wooden extension by getting a bit of wood, drawing on the circular end shape and then sawing/whittling to size enough to fit the hole. Left the other bit square shaped. A bolt through the whole thing, a couple of washers and a nut and I had a good extension. Till it started rotating which was solved with a screw and cable tie. It sounds gash, and it is, as I am no engineer but it works brill.

2) Adjusted throttle cable to get pedal lower than the brake by more of an amount than standard.

Now when I drive, I have to lift my foot further than feels right to reach the brake but it should all come together on track with heavy braking. The only event so far saw me braking and then missing the accelerator on the H&T because I was already below it.

I really wish I had specced the Competition MC but CC said not a good idea on a first Caterham ... baa humbug.

==================================

R400SV in orange - so far unmodified!

Sounds less gash than mine although the whittling was quite therapeutic! I don't have a pic but end result is a block of wood extending pedal an inch and a half nearer the brake. PVC pipe and a screw sounds more elegant!

==================================

R400SV in orange - so far unmodified!

I'm with you Martin, right from the day I got my 7 i have had a problem with H & T. I've bent the throttle pedal, moved it backwards and forwards and it still comes down the fact that the damn thing is too short. I can't be the only one who drives with my heels on the floor and swivels my foot as required between throttle and brake. All it needs is to be about an inch longer, (thats funny, that's what my wife says!!!)