Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oval drum on ital axle

techbod

On my Ital live axle car.

Checking my rear brake shoes I notice there is evidence that one of my rear drums is slightly oval - there is a small amount of surface rust on the braking face over an arc of about 20 degrees. The shoes can't be contacting the face at this point or the rust wouldn't be there!

So can I put the drum in the lathe - clock it to see how far out it is, and if its only a couple of thousand, skim it back to being circular? Or is that a no no however thick the casting is? Is there a min specified thickness for the ital drum?

Thanks for any thoughts

Kevin. it looks like I was a bit quick off the blocks as Rimmer now lists these as NLA. THe Dolly Sprint drums are wider and not suitable; I am not surprised at the brand snobbery (Triumph vs Morris) as it has been mentioned on here before concerning Spitfire components.Perhaps someone on here can tell if there is any other compatability with BL brake components. Perhaps you should not bin those drums just yet techbod.

Brunel,

The sprint drums are definitely too big but the 1500/1850 drums might fit, not sure!! The 1500/1850 diffs are the same but the axle tube and half shafts are different. TR7's are another possibility, but hav'nt even looked at that.

Rimmers are not helpful with compatability, they say 1500/1850/GT6/Spit diffs and CW&P are all different but they are not.

Cheers

Chris

I was wondering the same thing when I looked at the Rimmers site and couldn't work out which drums were supposed to be the equivalent of my ital ones.

I think I'll try Canley Classics, as they are local to me. I'll just take the drum up and see if they have something that is the same from their Triumph bits.

I do fancy the disc conversion but it looks a trifle expensive at the moment compared to a pair of new drums (assuming I can find them of course)

Just for info.

I took the Marina drum up to Canley Classics who are in the main a Triumph parts dealer but do list a few Caterham bits (where Triumph sourced).

We went through a fair few drums trying to find a match for the Marina drum. The nearest was I think the Vitesse 2 litre, which matched except for depth where it was just too shallow. They didn't get the 1500 drums out for a direct comparison, but said they where bigger.

The chap there said he thought the Marina/Ital half shafts did have a Triumph equivalent and confirmed the diffs did as well.

Just for your info. I still have a green cover Caterham cars paper parts catalogue that must be at least 15 years old. saying that I have the dvd also that wont run on XP.

It list the part number for rear drum ital as GDB101. It will throw up some cross references if you google it etc. Shoes are MGR36.

I did note last time I searched Quinton Hazel brake pdf that they dont list a number now for anything rear drum for ital or marina so suspect other large suppliers have knocked these bits out of there ranges.

Sure Redline will have the info though