Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Diff query - 1700 Supersprint Xflow De dion (1990)

hendrixswhitestrat

Morning all

Getting my car ready for the Surrey Hills Blat (having just changed the coil) and notice I now have an oil leak... ☹️

Car is a 1990 Supersprint de dion

Rear axle/diff quite wet with fresh looking oil (golden) but not sure if it's from the engine blowing back or the diff..suspect the former but was going to crawl under tonight and have a look....quick question for them's that know:

Out of interest how do I tell which diff I have...a 3.62 or a 3.92 ? Are there marks on the unit ?

Most importantly...anyone tell me where the filler/drain plug is/are so that I can see what the level is like.....had a grope last night and can't find it (used to be a dirty big plug on my old series landrover).

Any help much appreciated as hoping to jack it up tonight and sort out, away the rest of the week.

Cheers all

HWS

Guitars, cars and whisky in the jar..what else is there ?

LOL ! Cheers both...cat p*ss eh ? My sense of smell is crap so I'll have to get one of my kids to have a sniff...or the missus.

more importantly what is this "golden oil" you talk of sounds like Witchcraft to me Crossflow oil is black with lumps in

😬 Changed mine a couple of months back and it's still that lovely golden syrup cover which is what made me suspect it's found a way out somewhere.

Thanks for the posts lads...will have a look tonight and hopefully the mystery will be revealed, will post a follow up .

Cheers

HWS

Evening all...

Update as promised. Had a good look underneath tonight and took some pics.....think it's definitely engine oil with a few streaks under the car just behind the breather pipe which runs from engine under the car. Diff is covered in it but looks like it's been sprayed rather than leaking.

One headscratcher though (probably my being a bit fick)...how the hell are you supposed to underdo the filler plug as there's only a centimetre or so between the end of the plug and the axle...am I looking at the right plug !!???

Photos here Oil leak and diff photos

Have heard some say that you can fill through the breather but even so, how do you check the level if you can't extract the filler plug ??

Any wisdom from the initiated much obliged !

*smile*

HWS