Click here if you are having website access problems ×

XFlow 1.6 with twin weber carbs fuel consumption and mixture

thomaswilliams48

Hi, don't know if anybody can help me. My 1.6 litre Xflow seems to be running very rich on fuel. I understand that it will be very thirsty on fuel but i'm sure I should be getting more than about 90 miles per tank? When the car has been running there is a strong smell of fuel from under the bonnet which I'm told by a fellow crossflow owner is not right. If anyone can be of any help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Williams

On my upgraded 1600, (bored out to 1690 with a new head) I used to get around 170 miles to a tank, before it was tuned. what she's doing now I don't know.

One thing it could be is a sticking float valve in the webber, however your better of asking members in your area if there's someone who they would recommend to set up the tuning & webers.

Mine was poor on performance and very thirst, since the tune up (which included sorting the correct jet seizes out) she's sweet as anything.

Q469 WET, 1990 1690 Xflow Long Cockpit in Ali except for the red bits.

We are doing Yorkshire 3 Peaks in aid of Rotherham Hospice

Tom,

It may just be a case of the mixture settings on the carbs. This section on 7FAQ is a very handy guide to setting them up. Go straight to the section titled 'Setting the Idle and slow running' and read on from there. It might look a bit daunting at first but it is actually quite straight forward. The article recommends a carb synchroniser, which is well worth getting. I bought mine on eBay but if you do a search on Blatchat you will find lots of suggestions.

Marc

Yellow flares and a X-flow - who said the 70's are over?

Hi Tom,

If you can post the sizes of your jets, chokes, emulsions etc together with any engine mods, that might help narrow the problem down. The more information the better.

At what revs did the misfire/stutter occur? If it was around 2500 rpm it sounds to me like they have just put bigger idle jets in to help the progression phase. This will increase your fuel consumption quite a lot.

Regards,

Giles

No smell of fuel. Its early days of ownership but as a ballpark figure I think I should get 200 miles out of a tank that includes giving it some welly (provided I am not stuck on the Ring (R0) around Brussels for an hour and a half and then again in Friday evening rush hour traffic ☹️).

I had a misfire at high revs before the winter but some fuel system cleaner/winter wishful thinking has cured it.

Gavin

1988 1700 Supersprint (LA, long cockpit)

Hi Tom

You might consider a 'tune up' at the Two Steve's. (do a quick search or someone might do a linky for me).

They are a rolling road tuner. Not far. M25 Dartford Crossing. Turn left onto A13. First junction off. Right at rounderbout over the A13 and about 500 m on the left. Small place but recomended by all how have used them.

Richard