Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Poorly fitting exhaust - can't reach bobbin

MartinH

Hi All,

Getting close to finishing my R300 SV build now and did first engine start today. Nice. To do this I attached my exhaust silencer temporarliy (as the manual says don't attach permanently until rear wings on). Unfortunately no matter how much banging and shoving we did I couldn't get the can far enough towards the front of the car for the bracket to locate on the bobbin.

I ended up hacking about 10MM off the exhaust end of the cat but I am still about 35mm away from the bobbin. Is this usual? Any advice what to do next? I could hack about 10mm maybe off the 4 pipes on the cat that lead to the primaries but I am going to need to find even more than that I think.

Couple of photos here:

Silencer

Cat

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Martin

Duratec R300 SV build in progress

ISTR that there was a similar thread to this sometime last year - I think (not 100% sure) that Caterham had supplied the wrong silencer - one that was longer than the one required on the R300.

Worth a search.

Infact see here - and I was wrong - it was an R400 new-build

Dave.

edited for the second and third times because I can't type !!

Edited by - DaveMorris on 7 Mar 2010 19:53:33

Edited by - DaveMorris on 7 Mar 2010 19:54:26

Edited by - DaveMorris on 7 Mar 2010 19:56:29

Martin - I had exactly the same issue recently. I emailed CC and they suggested removing the two spring clips from the catalyst end so to loosen things off and to give more play in the pipe-work allowing it to reach the bobbin. This helped and I managed to persuade the exhaust bracket onto the chassis bracket/bobbin, but I was not happy with the amount of force I had to use and the strain on the manifold (the engine mounts were still loose and the engine moved!), so I took it off to avoid any permanent damage. I emailed CC again explaining my concerns. I's also tried to remove the nut from the bobbin to try different arrangements here, and couldn't as the bobbin thread was imperial and the nut metric (or the other way around), so I'd ended up with a cross-threaded fit! CC sent out a new bracket and bobbin and to my surprise the new one was very different and allowed the exhaust to be fitted perfectly - the bobbin thread and nut matched too! So, a mysterious case of wrong parts...!

So the things I've learned from my build are:-

(1) If it doesn't fit, then you have to either force it a little, file it a little, hammer it a little, bend it a little, fettle it a little, swear at it a little, wriggle it a little, as CC have sent the right parts - they just neat a little persuasion.

(2) If it doesn't fit and it needs almighty force then in all likelihood CC have sent the wrong parts!

Jeff

I had this issue as well. The exhaust appeared to be 65mm too long when all mated nicely. Turned out I had been supplied with a CSR exhaust. Caterham swapped it, but I had to have the new one polished to match the rest of the system.

I started a thread, which someone responded to after measuring their exhaust.

Mine off of the stands today. Due to Caterham on the 29th March. Just the tonneau and boot cover to do now.

Regards

Andrew

Martin,

Can't see your photos but if its an individual pipe per cylinder type manifold, are you aware that you should fit the exhaust system with the manifold bolts loose? This allows the manifold pipes to wiggle about and makes fitting much easier.

Just be careful they don't wiggle too much and damage the panel where they exit. Slack the nuts a tiny bit and it should really help without letting the pipes hit the body.

Willie

Martin - I've just looked at my original and replacement brackets. The original is the same as yours - quite a sturdy bracket, where as the replacement is a simple "L" shaped one like Andrew describes. The latter allows the bobbin to sit lower with respect to the body panel, so I didn't have to force the exhaust up by quite a distance. But your issue may be the silencer model. Incidentally, I fitted mine with the manifold torqued up and only remove the spring clips from the catalyst as CC suggested - this made life a lot easier. I also left the silencer to cat band clamp loose until all finished.

Hope you get somewhere!

Thanks All. I really had to think twice about posting this as I just assumed I was being dim but it seems CC have probably sent me either a wrong bracket or wrong silencer and have caused me to hack 10mm off my cat *mad*. When I get the right parts I'll propbably be 10mm out now!!

Just so you have the completete story I was attempting the fit with the primaries torqued up at the engine and I can see how loosening them off might help if I was close but I am miles away.

Time for another Monday morning call to Sean at the factory I reckon.

M

What did Sean say? Wrong can or hit it with a bigger hammer? (what the workshop guys said when I was having trouble getting the top diff bolt in - they were right)

Martyn

R300GRR SV trapped in Dartford until IVA on 12th March!!!

Just to add some further information on this one.

I have spoken to Sean at the factory and he is sending me a new bracket. Additionally, he asked me to check the part number for the silencer which should have been CSP907B. The length of the can on one of these is apparently 62cm.

My exhaust can is 71cm on mine and has a part number of CSP888B and is therefore wrong ☹️

Sean is sending out another one.

Hopefully the fact that I have butchered my cat won't prevent it from all joining up nicely, staying sealed, not rattling etc etc. He said they would replace that as well if there were any issues - so no big deal in the end. Lucky I am not in a hurry.

Meanwhile I have turned my attention to the cycle wings. I spent a lovely evening last night Sikaflex-ing the piping to the outside and getting it all over the place. Yuk! Also started to drill the holes for the indicators. Shame to have to do that but its in the regs...

I also haven't decided wether to bolt or bond the wings on yet. I know there are dozens of threads out there and some pretty passionate arguments for both techniques. The preferred method (to use BigHead fasteneers and cable ties) seems to not be IVA-safe so that is out. I am leaning towards bolting at the moment...

Cheers,

Martin

Martin,

they sent you the CSR exhaust can as well then. They did that to me also, at least you didn't polish it before finding the error.

I stuck my cycle wings on and I've put the indicator repeaters in the headlamps. Checked with IVA tech rep and he seemed ok with this as long as they are bright.

Hi Andrew,

Well, I did give it a bloody good polish with some autosol but didn't pay a professional to do it I suppose.

Regarding the wings, I am on a one way street now as I have drilled one wing. Do you have any pictures of your solution?

Which IVA station are you going to use? See my other thread just posted about 10 mins ago? Seems like we could be in for a battle...

Cheers,

Martin