Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Slicks...

Neophyte

Again, i never said that Avon said they were old hat, i said that I thought they were old hat and that's what I believe, you only have to look at every major championship to see that no one runs crossplys and that's where the R&D is done and where the technology filters down from, but you might have a good point re power

C7 YUM

Tyres are designed and constructed for car championships *wink*, so they are specific to that application. If a car would benefit from a crossply, the manufacturer would design and construct a crossply for that car *wink*

Championships don't just look at the shelf and sees what is sitting on it and say "We'll have that one please" 😬

That is why using Michelin F3 slicks or whatever series they are designed for, CANNOT be as good as a tyre designed and constructed for your specific car.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Avon constructed some of their current crossply range for the original Caterham R400 Superlight championship *confused*

Want to rent an 18th century Farmhouse in Rural Somerset?

Here's a question for you.

Our 2010 championship specifies list 1a or 1b tyre. We have a split in the ranks, some are running Kumho V70's and others ACB10's.

For an S3, which one do you think will be best?

PS. CSR's would suit the Kumho V70's *wink*

I ran Kumho's in 2003 in the Kumho BMW championship, we were only allowed to use the Hard Compound but we got some great times out of them....they were decent tyres then and clearly they still are, never used the ACB10's but my money would go with the Kumho, might even come and do a round or 2

C7 YUM

Dave, races are between 15-20 minutes.

Paul Gibb used the Kumho's in medium last season for this duration and seemed to last well

I was intending to use A24 compound ACB10 and I was doubting they would not last for 20 minutes, mind you I tested on them at Brands last week and was very happy with the performance *smokin* *cool*

it depends how you drive .

I cant possibly see A24 acbs lasting me more than 3 laps. If you drive like a tart then I'm sure you will be fine but of course you wont win, so you might as well use knackere second hand slicks and save your self £600

What was the race winner using and how far off the pole record are you *thumbup* *thumbdown* 🤔

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia AO

Well second set of wheels is now sorted atleast... I have some MB R500 wheels on order (with black rims) 2 weeks to delivery... I pondered CXR's, but as it is my Birthday tomorrow I thought I would being a bit more extravagent *tongue* You can't take it with you they say!

Edited by - Neophyte on 5 Mar 2010 13:12:14

in October then

I knew someone would say something along that line *smile* You may well be prophetic, but I hope not!

Mike did offer me a set he had in stock, but they were standard rims, so I politely declined; so at this stage I am keeping my hopes up... Perhaps stupidly if he is as good as his word I shall be sure to mention it in passing or I feel I am being unfair *smile*

Edited by - Neophyte on 5 Mar 2010 20:44:00

A question for Taffyracer - What size/compound Dunlops are you running, and on what rims?

Steve, 175/535/13 front, 230/570/13 rear on 7/9" standard Caterham rims......speak to John Pearson at HP Tyres.......great bloke and very knowledgeable

C7 YUM

It's not about how much wear is left, but the number of heat cycles they have been through, surely?

Any slick, crossply or radial is a revelation compared to road tyres...but crossplies on standard "road" de dion ears don't maximise the available footprint of the tyre. That's why I'm going to source a set of radials for this year - I don't want the hassle of changing ears.

• 2 weeks later...
in October then

Just a very quick update, I spoke to Mike this morning, I will be collecting the wheels tomorrow 😬 which is (to the day) when Mike always said they would be ready *tongue* in fairness it looked a bit dodgy at one point but the end result is what matters most I think...

Well i'm going to get a set of second hand radials from Colin at Sticky Slicks as he's only a couple of miles away. I'll bring em to the club day at Cadwell and we'll see how they do. Sod's law it'll be raining!! Can't be bothered buggering around with the suspension so i won't be getting the best from them but as i'm already on a very stiff set up then hopefully they won't be too bad. Just as long as they slide progressively, that's all i ask.

Till then....

That is one place where slides being progressive is the preferred option for most I think... It is very good fun though, before I come over as being a little negative.

Finger crossed you get the weather that allows them to be deployed *smile*