Click here if you are having website access problems ×

C20XE engine chassis numbers

Trotsky

Having just come in from a full days fettling (See thread on chat) i have discovered a few interesting things and raised a few quistions you guys can usually sort for me, The engine was built by

John Wilcox Competion engines,Has anybody on here heard of him? there is a blue box under the drivers side dash with his sticker on. its a C20XE with weber 45 DCOE152 carbs, Nice blue Kent Verniers and Cams but not sure which cam. how do these affect performance and power? the engine has been 3d mapped. I have no idea what bhp I should be getting but was told around 190 bhp. Would that be about right?

On the engine to gear box flange it is stamped C20Xe, how can i tell if its an early engine or one of the later lownoise ones?

the chassis plate states SDKRDKHVXS AND NUMBERS. I have looked thru old threads to find out what these stand for and from faqs reckon kit supplied Right hand drive

HPC. the Engine number states KD numbers VX not sure what the KD means?

Int fettlin great!!

Trotsky N7 HPC

Edited by - trotsky on 22 Feb 2010 23:36:39

Edited by - trotsky on 22 Feb 2010 23:38:15

Edited by - trotsky on 23 Feb 2010 10:29:33

Trotsky, John was based in Derbyshire, i think chesterfield and i believe he was approved by Caterham for post build checks etc. Difficult to say what cams are in without numbers, although i replaced the 45 carbs with injection my car has mildly upgraded hydraulic kent shafts with verniers and produces 193bhp on the dyno.

chassis numbers are a bit of a grey area i beleive as i have seen stated on here that a HPC must have H in the number but mine hasnt and it was bought by me brand new from CC and it is a HPC and they paid for my HPC course 😬 , sure somone will be along latert to explain the low noise engine traits.

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

here

Trotsky,

The later LN low noise engines are no.14142839 onwards and I think the change roughly happened in 1992. Main difference is that they changed the profile of the teeth on the cams and timing belts and also used plastic cam belt idler pulleys rather than metal ones (a carry over from Vauxhall's ecotec developments I believe).

The S in your chassic number suggests a 1996 year build so suspect it will be an LN engine.

The D and K stand for D = De Dion and K = Kit.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by - Lotus Boy on 23 Feb 2010 13:16:39