Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brown oily gunk coming from carbs

MusCat

Check carb adjustment, balance etc. If all OK then it’s probably one of the grub screws/locknuts at the sides of the carbs that hold the chokes in place. Unscrew grub screw/locknut, smear with some form of gasket sealant and replace/tighten – gently.

Hylomar blue. I saw your other thread, and would point out that you should ONLY use this on the venturis or on the trumpets in small quantities; literally, a thin film. If it does work loose, it's not going to do any more than disappear down a cylinder and get burnt/ejected, as you shouldn't be using it for any components in the fuel line prior to the jets.

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

Hi Muscat - as you can see fm Alex' link, I had exactly the same problem as you. Alex's assistance was spot on and the carbs have been fine ever since. It's an easy procedure once you start - don't do what I did though - I managed to replace one of the chokes 180degs round the wrong way *nono* so take care when replacing them. Also, don't overtighten the grub screws - the chokes are made of very soft etal for some reason. Simon.

• 1 month later...