Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spare wheel no longer fits, adjust?

TeKK

Hello chaps,

Had a search of blatchat for spare wheel issues and none seem to fit my problem.

I recently went from 14" wheels to 13" including the spare. I went to bolt my new spare on the carrier last night using the Y-shaped brace and long bolt, and unlike most postings about the issue, my Y-Brace finishes too high up to let me get the bolt into bodywork. With most issues it's usually too low.

Any ideas? Granted I think the pressure may be at 30psi so dropping that might let me line it up.

Is it ok to bend the carrier downwards slightly? The bolt is only missing by say, half an inch.

And yes I want to keep the spare on the car. *wink*

Alternatively, chop the wheel carrier off, sell the spare and buy a can of Tyreweld. The weight saving might mean you can keep up a bit better. The money you get from the spare can go on a Sat Nav! 😶‍🌫️ *tongue* *smokin*

Now in helpful local AR mode, when I had a spare wheel carrier I had no issue with changes from 13" wheels to 14"'s and back again but that may have been down to the tyre profiles. I can't see why gentle adjustment of 13mm could hurt, but I've got some bits and pieces in the garage which may suit first. Are you coming to The Mouse on Wednesday?

NE Area Rep

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Mr Tyrone, are you insinuating that my car is slow and my sense of direction could do with some help?? *tongue* 😬

I'll try dropping the pressure and applying brute force this evening.

Should be able to make to the mouse, haven't had one of their burgers in a while 😬 If I'm still stuck I'll let you know and hopefully bring the seven along, weather and road salt permitting.

Hi TeKK

had exactly the same issue and tried pipe insunation but after a couple of months it compresses and puts quite a bit of strain on the Boss and puts a wave in the skin ☹️

this worked for me:

removed all the padding on the carrier and turned the wheel on such a way that one of the 4 bolt holes lined up and used that.

you will more than likley need to get some bits from Caterham (I had too)one of these

here

this works a bit better too as you need a whell spanner to remove it (little bit of anti theft)

once you have that the only thing you need is to make up a spacer using tubing to sit between the back of the alloy and boss on the car, it holds it firmly in place

hope this makes sense

cheers

Mark

Mr Tyrone, are you insinuating that my car is slow and my sense of direction could do with some help??
Not if you think it constitutes bullying you in any way. I cannot afford the cost of therapy, but in a word, yes!

Somewhere I have a wheel 'bolt' which has a large flange *redface* which fits over the centre hole in the wheel. It may afford a little more play if you don't get sorted.

Hopefully see you Wednesday, I haven't driven the car since November!!!

NE Area Rep

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Yeah it's a positively balmy 4 degrees here.

Walking around in a t-shirt and shorts 😬

@Tyrone: Sounds good, I will persist till next wednesday, picking up correct torque wrench end bit thingy this evening since I haven't torqued em yet