Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Dry Sump Clean Out questions?

djg

I have a 1600 K with the purple pump set up with about 20 K miles on the engine. A reasonable amount of which has been track day work, the majority not in my hands.

Towards the end of the summer I was getting noticably more engiune vibration at about 4.5 to 5 k rpm, especially on throttle back. Topping up the oil helps this , but the engine just dumps that out via the catch tank after a while and the vibration gets bad again.

This vibration is worse after repeated acceleration through the gears, sounds like oil starvation to me, but OP is fine on the electric gauge.

I have done a couple of oil changes via a suction pump and now feel it is time to take the dreaded blue plate off *eek*. I also wish to remove the sump and just give it a clean and see if there is anything silly going on in there.

I have seen on CC website that they do a small filter for the dry sump K cars, part No FP 2026. Where is this on the car?, I assume it is on the outlet from the sump pan.

Also why do I need 2 sump gaskets?, I only ask so I don't get any surprises and order up the right parts..

Laslty, any thoughts on what else might be going on to cause the vibration from the POBC.

TIA

Doug

Doug

A couple of suggestions:

Sounds as if oil temp (therefore viscosity) may be a factor. By stopping and topping up oil, oil temp will fall. The extra volume of oil may not be related. What actual pressures are you seeing.

Did it start suddenly or gradually become apparent? Are there any associated noises?

Although you say most noticeable on backing off throttle, can the vibe be seen or felt at the rpm it comes in ith the bonnet off?

Would be worth checking for loose engine mounting legs, alternator, TV damper/pulley, engine to gearbox, etc...

Sorry if you've eliminated such things already. But better to check before pulling bottom off engine.

Taking off dry sump and blue plate not difficult but I'm not sure about your gasket question.

Good luck

Peter

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

FCITW 2009 😬

Thanks for the replies.

The vibration is gradually getting worse over the last season. Mainly when pressing on. Oil pressures are 5 bar by gauge when running and can be as low as 2 bar when idle, but when very hot, ie dunsfold day.

Recently did a clutch change and renewed engine mounts, so a nut and bolt check was also in my mind.

Vib only occurs under load, so difficult to replicate stationary.

"Good" to hear that those filters get blocked up a bit. I have changed the oil used from Mobil 1 to the Comma Track day oil too, that made things better for a while.

I have another snow bound day here, so I may get brave and do that nut and bolt check.

Thanks again

Doug

• 1 month later...

Ok, So now I have taken the dry-sump pan gauze filter out and found a small, ie a dozen or so, number of non-magnetic metal particles in the gauze. They are about 3-4mm long and about 1mm wide.

I have not removed the gauze in the past two years of ownership.

Am I going to have to look at the bearings?, or is this usual to find this, say if this is the first time the gauze has been removed?

And I was just thinking how nice it was to work on the 7 a bit !!

There is not short cut... you need to take your engine out and strip it down. The only serious reason an engine will vibrate is because something is wrong... the problem is find out what.

Chances of it being something within the head are remote, which leave you everything else that reciprocates.

Can you isolate the problem as coming from the engine, rather than the transmission?

Phone if you want to chat this through with someone - 01444 892127

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine