Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.6k Series - Starting issue is foxing me!?

jskyrme

Dear Techmeisters,

I'm a new member of the club having acquired my first Seven at the end of the Summer - Frankly I haven't stopped grinning since and the adrenaline has been pumping like mad on each and every blat. Given that my wife is less than responsive on all matters relating to Seven ownership (funny as it was a present from me to "us") I'm very much looking forward to meeting up with some like minded members so I can enjoy the car even more.

However there seems to be a problem when starting the car (not good when you've roared onto a petrol forecourt, refueled and then have to push the car on to the side before the car will restart 10mins later). It sounds like a flat battery as the starter motor still turns however I have tested the battery before and during running >12v and >13v when running. In addition I use a batt conditioner which indicates the batt is ok!?

So I replaced the earth strap with a nice new one. The car started on the button four or five times then I got a lazy start again. I thought it might be heat related some how but the car wouldn't start at all today from cold. Again the starter motor is turning really slowly.

I would be very grateful if anybody could point me in the right direction as I can't fathom out what the issue is...wiring / starter motor / new batt required...?

Any suggestions gratefully received...

Many Thanks guys,

Jon.

How are the liquid levels in the battery ? Very hot under a Seven bonnet ! Check all large cable connections on engine, battery and chassis earths. Look for bright/clean metal - if necessary, scrape clean and remake. If all ok when you replaced the earth cable for a short while, has it come loose again, or bolted onto dull/dirty metal ?

Is battery losing it's charge after all the attempts at starting ? How old is it ?

Put voltmeter across battery, then watch the voltage when you crank the starter. If it dips alarmingly, probably dying, low on liquid, or discharged.

Do you have a battery cut off switch? There's a lot of loss in the wiring to/from and more in the switch itself. I've wired the starter power feed straight to the battery (everything else goes via the cut off switch) and starting is much better. There's also the "relay mod" which you'll find in the 7FAQ I think.

There are a host of issues which can cause hot starting problems.

Here's a few:

Poor earth from the battery. On my car I have a single earth lead from the battery to one of the starter motor mounting bolts. This is steel into aluminium, and has to pass the entire 300A (or whatever it is) starting current. Take out the bolt, and clean it fully.

Loose or corroded connections on battery, starter or FIA switch.

Dody contacts inside the starter motor solenoid. Worth dismantling the solenoid and cleaning all the internal contacts and looking for breaks.

Voltage drop before the starter motor. If you have an FIA switch, and you're sure you'll NEVER use it in competition, considering wiring the starter input directly to the battery as Tony suggests.

Iffy starter relay in the multi-function relay unit (MFRU). See the relay mod on Myles's page here. One tip, though - don't use a Scotchlok on the brown wire, instead remove the central brown wire from the bottom of the connector, and connect that directly to the new relay.

As Dave says check the battery. If you can get the tops off, try starting it with them off (put everything electric 'on' that you can at the same time) Then look to see if one of the cells is bubbling excessively when the battery is under load (wear eye protection). If it is then its new battery time

However there seems to be a problem when starting the car (not good when you've roared onto a petrol forecourt, refueled and then have to push the car on to the side before the car will restart 10mins later). It sounds like a flat battery as the starter motor still turns however I have tested the battery before and during running >12v and >13v when running. In addition I use a batt conditioner which indicates the batt is ok!?

It's not your immobiliser coming on is it?

I'd check your battery fluid levels first, make sure it's nicely topped up.

Also, is it a Banner Battery? (one of the old starting bulls), since I had issues with my old one.

I had the exact same problem you describe, pulled onto petrol forecourt after quick blast down the road from my house, went to restart and sounded like a dead battery.

After a cool down period, she started again no problem so it was as if the battery was over heating.

I understand K-Series engines can have starter issues, but I replaced my very old and leaking 😳 banner battery with the powervamp and she has no more starting problems whatsoever. *smile*

Edit to add - I moved my battery earth point (negative lead) to a different position on the engine, with a cleaner join thanks to some emery cloth and some good ol' vaseline, may have improved matters too.

Edited by - TeKK on 25 Nov 2009 16:37:30

Thanks TeKK,

It is in fact a Banner Battery "Starting Bull", I've no idea how old it is though but it looks in newish condition...I topped up fluid levels a few weeks back and also moved the Earth point to a fresh bolt that isn't shared with the exhaust heat shield. I'll try Graham's suggestion to see if there's excessive bubbling under load....but very reassuring to hear you manage to cure your issue with the power Vamp.

Thanks to all your suggestions Guys, much appreciated!