Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery over winter

Simbathecat

Afternoon all,

This is my first post on the forums (so please no flaming !) having recently bought my first Seven (a beautiful 1999 Green / yellow nose 1800 Roadsport).

I have the standard Banner battery in the car and will likely be using the car a lot less in coming months due to the wet, cold weather. Concensus on the forum seems to be to use a conditioner (Accumate seems to be a regular recommendation - any others ?) to keep the battery in top form especially as it will be drained over time by the immobiliser.

A few questions:

- is it advisable to keep the battery in situ in the car when hooked up to the conditioner or should you remove it from the car before connecting the conditioner

- if one can simply attach a conditioner to the battery in situ, does anyone hook the conditioner into their car via a cigarette lighter sicket (in other words avoiding the need to take hood off and fiddle with clips) ?

Cheers

Hi Simbathecat and welcome *wavey*

I use a banner battery conditioner when the cars not in use for any length of time

- is it advisable to keep the battery in situ in the car when hooked up to the conditioner or should you remove it from the car before connecting the conditioner
mine is done in situ *thumbup* would say for long periods and very cold weather take it indoors .

- if one can simply attach a conditioner to the battery in situ, does anyone hook the conditioner into their car via a cigarette lighter socket (in other words avoiding the need to take hood off and fiddle with clips) ?

this is how I do mine 😬 through the cigarette lighter socket works fine just make sure its fused *thumbup*

As Ian said 😬 MTF

HTH

Mark *wavey*

7 Webshots here R400 😬 pure fun ( more so with Aero fitted )

Welcome *wavey*

- if one can simply attach a conditioner to the battery in situ, does anyone hook the conditioner into their car via a cigarette lighter sicket (in other words avoiding the need to take hood off and fiddle with clips) ?

What is this taking the hood off thing? Is that an americanism for bonnet or weather gear 😬?

My advice would be to use cigarette lighter socket with in-line fuse and avoid any bonnet removal and avoid any weather when weather gear is appropriate!

Dick

Superlight SV Duratec R400 Arch Inside 😬

Different train of thought - I always disconnect my battery whenever the car is in the garage, by doing this there's no draIN on the battery whatsoever, and Iv'e never had a battery problem since I've been disconnecting it. for sure it's more hassle but to me it's worth the extra effort. I guesss it depends how handy/motivated you are with a spanner *biggrin* *wavey*

same here, it all started one day when I asked about the shelf life of a new, unused, charged battery and was told "two years". Ever since then it has seemed simple enough to simply disconnect the battery, it's not as if I need anything at all on the car to be functioning, and there always seems to be some sneaky thing, on one car it was the clock (yes, in a 7)

Anthony

GJT

That'll work too, but do you really need one?? I don't, I've also heard that they cause a voltage drop, which leads to starting/cranking problems, can't comment personally on this though coz I've never had an isolator fitted on my car. *wavey*