Click here if you are having website access problems ×

windscreen rubber

stuart147

just about to replace windscreen rubber due to cracking/general wear. It looks tricky and very fiddly to get the new rubber into the recess on the frame. Anyone got any tips on getting this rubber in? Can I/should I use some sort of lube on it? If so what would you suggest?

Hi Stuart,

I haven't replaced my rubber seal yet, as it does look tricky, and most people seem to run and hide when this topic appears. I have just had the glass in my screen replaced and think it would be a shame not to replace the rubber (especially for aesthetic appeal), however fiddly it probably is.

As for lube, I'd guess washing-up liquid would probably be best. Let me know how you get on!

Les.

• Area Representative

Hi Stuart/Les,

This is a bit of a bugger to do ☹️ I used a silicone lube that's a slippy as anything and even then it was a very tight fit but it was doable.

Good luck!

Nick

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...

• Area Representative

Ooops, I meant to say it might help to have another person to help feed the rubber in a straight line. For me, it was made more difficult by the seal twisting as you tried to pull it through

Nick

-----

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...

REALLY IMPORTANT -

It does not appear to be when you first look at it - but the rubber is asymetrical.

There is a front and a back.

I did not notice this when I first replaced mine and you end up with gaps by the stanchions.

Make sure you look at the one you take off.

there is an old thread about this somewhere in the system

Dave

*thumbup*This job turned out easier than I first thought it would. I used WD40 as a lubricant and installing the rubber took me about 10 minutes to do, and on my own *smile*. I got some help to put the screen back on though to avoid scratching the scuttle and to pull the heater wires back through. Thanks for all of the tips.