Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CR500s bald on rear

anthonym

I'm not exactly known for hanging around either, tbh it's only since I put the Nitrons on that my rear tyres have lasted so long.

With my old worn out bilstein's I wrecked a set of CR500's in 2000 miles! I also suspect the more relaxed touring driving style with the Duratec (stick it in 5th and just drive on the torque) helps a fair bit.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

when I were a lad, Bilsteins were the things to die for; what happened?

Why are these others better?

I am also wondering, come to think of it, whether my Bilsteins are dialled in for track use and I could benefit from easing them off for road use. Much cheaper than buying new ones of any sort. Assuming of course that my Bilsteins are indeed adjustable, I mean my BDR (1987) has adjustables) so surely my R500 does?

I'm interested in two thongs, I mean things, best response to bumpy roads and not wearing out my rear tyres so quick, if these will not compromise my road experience.

edit:fix date

Edited by - anthonym on 10 Oct 2009 09:58:13

I'm interested in thongs too. *tongue*

Billies where the muts when I were a Lad, but things have moved on, and there's more choice/knowlage now.

For one thing the Caterham Billies have steel bodies, most of the aftermarket stuff, has alloy bodies.

If you have the normal road going adjustables on your R500, they're probably only adjustable for ride hight (I stand to be corrected on this) not rebound or damping.

If you do change the ride hight, it'll upset all your other suspension settings. Camber for one.

IMO it's best to get as many adjustments as your wallet can bear.

Of course with a road car, settings will always be a compromise, as there are so many variables in road surface.

Discalimer; the above is all IMHO as I'm not an expert. *wink*

As as someone pointed out to me on here, opinions are like 🙆🏻holes, everyone has one. 😬

i'm amazed at the lack of wear some people get from tyres, I got about 9000 miles from my last tyres 888's,( mind they where down to 1mm tread depth when i eventually swapped them last month, they still gripped well enough tho.

you may think " he must drive like a poofta" well ask anyone who has been in with me if thats the case, admittedly only about 100 miles of that was on track( nurburgring)but the rest where fast road miles. maybe being smooth helps,a well balanced car helps, and no i'm not blowing my own trumpet ( cant reach) 😬 but in my view a spinning tyre is wasted momentum and ultimately slower. I have some old ao21rs that i bung on for sideways silliness, but i just dont like the back end sliding around on the rd....... cue the flack

Trotsky N7 HPC

as I understand it we do not need any tread for grip in the dry, it's only when water has to be moved to facilitate said grip; however for legal reasons we are required to have some tread, so much I was tempted to leave them bald (or in other parlance, "slick") I duly gave in to society's demand for legality. :-)